Xbox One Unusable Without Day One Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'm not really sure any new bad publicity can tank the new console's reputation any further. Have to give Microsoft credit where it is due though.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Although I'm still happy with my original fat PS3 whose 40GB HDD was replaced with 500GB, I know I'm not going to buy any console on its first batch any more, setting aside day one configuration. The same thing goes for AAA game series with history of day-one glitches like Batman and BF. I am not willing to pay for frustration just enjoy being an early adopter.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Why don't companies ever learn from the PR disasters that others experience. The press had a field day when Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii so Microsoft decides to do the same thing? Someone should be fired.

All the whining about a patch that might take 20 minutes. Nor is it unexpected for a console and it happens on PC's too.

It's not even proof that this was "rushed"; they had to build up inventory so there's been months to work on updates since the last OS build.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

Answer: Capitalism and Shareholder pressure for Profit Maximizing.

When they compare the negative PR and profit generation from going something like this, companies tend to focus on net gain. From this perspective, sitting with hardware already assembled until their software patch completion is definitely not an option. One can argue why they can't parallel HW and SW development so that all HW can be equipped with the latest SW when they are assembled. They may, but it will require lots of planning and implementing, if possible. Simply put, profit first. These days executives are evaluated by quarterly earning calls, and they have less incentives to look any further than a few future quarterly results. Why more retailers open earlier on Thanksgiving in spite of seemingly rages from consumers? The same reason: net profit maximization.

ikaz

Distinguished
Umm the PS4 will have a day one patch look it up can't even play Blu rays movies with out it, it seems all consoles have this issues (Xbox one, and Wii U). The best thing about consoles in the "golden" years was just put a game in and play. Now you have to update the consoles then patch the games as well. I don't know why people just save the heache and invest in a PC.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Forcing consumers to join console to internet and the best way to force consumers to register console. Not a huge deal as long as it works well after and does not require XBox Live to patch.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
ahhhhh the good ol days of having a gaming system where you could just pop in your favorite game cartridge and play to your hearts extent... no patches, no internet connection, no DLC, no big brother watching what you play, just you the game and the tv.

Fredrik Aldhagen

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

To reduce the amount of data that needs to be downloaded in the day one patch.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"ahhhhh the good ol days of having a gaming system where you could just pop in your favorite game cartridge and play to your hearts extent... no patches, no internet connection, no DLC, no big brother watching what you play, just you the game and the tv"

I miss those days.... Im tried of being treated like a thief for buying a game.

The thieves don't have to deal with this crap. Their copies are drm stripped and just work.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

If you have a GTX 770 and an eight thread processor (e.g. AMD FX 8350/Intel 4770K), you will outpace the new consoles for however long they last.

Status
Not open for further replies.