CPU temps are too low!

poyozo

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Greetings,

I recently upgraded a few part in my PC, namely the MOBO, RAM and PSU. I dropped my Phenom II X4 955 BE into my new M5A99FX PRO R2.0 cooled by a Cooler master N520. With this setup I was getting 38c-42c idle temps and 58c-62c load temps testing with Prime95 @ 3.6ghz. Pretty normal and uninteresting temps.

A couple of days later I decided to upgrade my cpu to an FX 8320. I also took this chance to upgrade my cooling solution to a Corsair H90. After dropping my new CPU into the M5A99FX PRO R2.0, I installed the H90 and booted up. I noticed my cpu temps in the UEFI BIOS going up to 42c, which would be bad if this was idle temp since its the same temp I was getting at idle with the other cpu/cooler combo. Then I remember that while in BIOS there are no cpu clock/volt throttling so that temp reading is not idle, so I proceeded to install the OS.

After installing Windows, I downloaded both Core Temp and Hardware Monitor and they both showed the cpu idling at 15c. This immediately seemed off since my room temp is around 20c. After applying load in Prime95 for an hour temps climbed to around 42c which is what the BIOS showed upon booting up. The temps while at full load seem to confirm that the readings are accurate since they correspond with the temps I'm getting while in BIOS, however the idle temps have me worried that I'm not getting accurate readings.

My concerns:

-Below ambient idle temps seem impossible to me, which would indicate inaccurate readings.
-CPU temp sensors may be defective.

Things to consider:

-The cpu cooler seems to be very effective. Its a self contained water cooler with a 140mm fan and I placed it in an optimal position in the case. I emptied my 5.25 bays and put the radiator in that space with the fan drawing air from the front of the case.

-My case has optimal airflow. I put 2 140mm fans up top exhausting air, one 120mm out the back and a 120mm side fan intake.

-I'm getting exactly the same temps in Core Temp and Hardware Monitor.

-I've read that certain chips have trouble giving accurate readings below certain temps.

Please excuse the lengthy post. Any insight on the matter is greatly appreciated.

I've read that below 30-40 is usually not accurate anyway, it's only when you get above that that you get accurate readings. I doubt anything is defective. Also does that mobo come with AISuite? You could check the temps in the temp sensor there.

poyozo

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I have read this as well however never anything conclusive. So from the case I presented should I assume that my 100% load temps are accurate?