Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this a good deal? Newegg MSI 7870

Last response: in Deals
Share
November 12, 2013 6:01:17 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A MSI 7870 GHZ Edition for 170 dollars which looks like a really good deal. Is this another Newegg marketing ploy, or is this a really good deal? I compared it to the 270x and it seems to have the same performance but at a WAY cheaper price.
November 12, 2013 6:04:00 PM

Sojerboy08 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A MSI 7870 GHZ Edition for 170 dollars which looks like a really good deal. Is this another Newegg marketing ploy, or is this a really good deal? I compared it to the 270x and it seems to have the same performance but at a WAY cheaper price.


Get it
m
0
l
Related resources
November 17, 2013 8:07:29 PM

Christopher Shaffer said:
I have 2 different 7870s for sale. $135/ea. I'll pay shipping. Prefer PayPal. All original packaging/contents. They are both just about 1 1/2 months old, mint condition.

ASUS 7870GHz Ed. DCUII v2 2GB
Sapphire 7870GHz Ed. OC 2GB v2

Links on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've recently replaced them with SLI'd 770s, so that's why I'm selling.



is this equipment still available?
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 8:18:09 PM

tarena said:
Christopher Shaffer said:
I have 2 different 7870s for sale. $135/ea. I'll pay shipping. Prefer PayPal. All original packaging/contents. They are both just about 1 1/2 months old, mint condition.

ASUS 7870GHz Ed. DCUII v2 2GB
Sapphire 7870GHz Ed. OC 2GB v2

Links on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've recently replaced them with SLI'd 770s, so that's why I'm selling.



is this equipment still available?


I have sold the Asus just a bit ago locally, but haven't had a chance to update the thread.

I also may be selling the Sapphire to another forum member (waiting for payment).

I'll let you know tomorrow if it does not sell.

Thanks!
m
0
l
November 17, 2013 9:28:58 PM

Just a FYI, the 270x is the same as a 7870 but it crossfires a lot better than the 7870. Its a rebranding gimmick. The only one that is *new* is the 290x or higher

m
0
l
November 18, 2013 7:48:08 AM

Actually the 270x is the same GPU, but runs hotter due to a higher factory clock speed. I just had these 2 cards Crossfired and actually they work just fine.

Aftermarket coolers on 7870s keep them at ~75C when overclocked as high as 1150/1250 GPU/RAM. The same coolers are showing the 270x running almost 10C higher.

I ran BF4 at about 100FPS and it was butter smooth with Ultra @1080p, MSAA x2, 100 resolution scaling using SSAO.

I haven't seen anything that suggests the 280x or 270x cards crossfire better than their predecessors, especially considering that Crossfire is dependent specifically on the GPU, which is exactly the same. In fact, you can Crossfire a 270x w/a 7870. Source: Tom's Hardware - AMA with AMD.

Do you have a link discussing how the 270x cards Crossfire better?
m
0
l
November 18, 2013 10:35:26 AM

Christopher Shaffer said:
Actually the 270x is the same GPU, but runs hotter due to a higher factory clock speed. I just had these 2 cards Crossfired and actually they work just fine.

Aftermarket coolers on 7870s keep them at ~75C when overclocked as high as 1150/1250 GPU/RAM. The same coolers are showing the 270x running almost 10C higher.

I ran BF4 at about 100FPS and it was butter smooth with Ultra @1080p, MSAA x2, 100 resolution scaling using SSAO.

I haven't seen anything that suggests the 280x or 270x cards crossfire better than their predecessors, especially considering that Crossfire is dependent specifically on the GPU, which is exactly the same. In fact, you can Crossfire a 270x w/a 7870. Source: Tom's Hardware - AMA with AMD.

Do you have a link discussing how the 270x cards Crossfire better?


No links and I don't remember where I saw that, but I believe its soley to do with driver support (nothing hardware wise). My single 7870 runs at 1080p + another monitor tho so i don't id ever need xfire.
m
0
l
!