Gaming computers-custom bult or big box stores

bamzdad10

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I have been thinking of getting a gaming desktop for my 14 yo son. He mostly participates in multiplayer games through Steam and games like the Modern warfare series. He keeps on insisting on Cyber Power bolack pearl but I've also heard there are better ones out there. Doesn't it also depend on how you customize the unit, too? What about Alienware? I've heard in the past people DON'T like the product but I've heard recently that they're improving. How about getting a decent HP (12gb and 2tb) from a big box store and tweaking it?

Lastly, what are the "must haves" as far as specs are concerned?
Thanks!

dem

- alienware is too expensive for what you get, it's the name your paying more for

- big box store/hp/dell/etc are all crap for gaming, they use proprietary components, upgrades aren't always possible, etc

- if you're not going to build your own, then cyberpower is about the best. They use real name brand components, they build with the gamer and upgrading in mind, and sometimes offer cheap than you would pay building your own.

alienware is junk. dell now owns them. the people originally from alienware jumped ship and now have established origin pc. origin pc is great but extremely expensive so i wouldnt suggest going with them (or alienware).

you still have to watch out with cyberpower. some of the items are "generic" brand even though they are "brand name".

honestly the best thing to do would be to build the system yourself from parts. the people here are glad to come up with a build if you list your budget.

if building it is not an option then your only choice would be to go with items from cyberpower or other companies but try not to get confused with all the specs they throw at you. for instance they may throw a a whole lot of jargon at you which may make you think you are getting "more" however they are just listing every possible specification they can even though the stuff comes on just about every motherboard. you need to be careful not to get sucked into the marketing.