Low resolution vs 1080p resolution

kirrasbank

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Will I see much a diffrence?

Whats the main diffrence from low res gaming and high res gaming.

If im looking for performance but also good graphics?

I got a crappy 17 or 18 inch monitor now. Im thinking about upgrading to a 23-24 inch monitor. I think it would be alot better on my eyes and just more fun.

Whats diffrence from high resolution low settings.... from low resolution ultra settings.

people say you can run on a low res monitor and turn all on ultra and max AA and it will look like 1080p and perform alot better fps wise?

What do you think /im going to be running an 7870 ghz edition card.

thanks

Solution
Low resolution is easer for your computer (so you get higher FPS) but doesn't look as good.

I have found native resolution of any decent monitor to look much better than using a resolution below native.

ie a 720p monitor will look better at 720p than a 1080p monitor will look at 720p.

However, 1080p on a 1080p monitor does, of course, look better than 720p on a 720p monitor.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Low resolution is easer for your computer (so you get higher FPS) but doesn't look as good.

I have found native resolution of any decent monitor to look much better than using a resolution below native.

ie a 720p monitor will look better at 720p than a 1080p monitor will look at 720p.

However, 1080p on a 1080p monitor does, of course, look better than 720p on a 720p monitor.

Solution

kirrasbank

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Ah ok. So what ever I do dont get a 1080p monitor and resize it to 720 resolution. It will increase fps but. Will look worse then 720p unless I was on a 720p monitor from the get-go....

Ill get a 23-24-inch monitor.... Will it still look alot better then 720p even if i turn AA off or whatever it is that makes games edges look smooth?

You get be best picture quality when using a monitor at it's native (maximum) resolution; whatever that resolution is. Using lower than than native resolution will cause the image to be less sharp. Generally speaking the greater the difference between the lower resolution and the native resolution, the worse the image quality will be.

Generally speaking the best image quality when using lower than native resolution are the ones which takes the native resolution and divided by a whole number like 2 or 3. So for example 1920x1080 divided by 2 is 960x540, divided by 3 is 640x360. However, those are not standard resolutions.