Raid 0 Keeps failing

Badgerbash

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
My raid0 keeps failing at random, here's a video if the forum post isn't clear enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4oUvxquOHE

I am using a Crucial m500 and an adata SSD. They are both recognized as such in the bios, and they are working drives. I thought I fixed the issue, installed windows and everything worked until I rebooted, then one drive was offline, and the other one was unknown. If I went to reset the drives to non-raid, and not do anything, they would come back but only shortly.

You should watch the video to see exactly what I mean, because it's pretty random. Sorry for the shaking

Badgerbash

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Alright, I was 99% sure that was the problem, but the fact that it would work sometimes led me away

RealBeast

Titan
I would not pursue this approach as I expect you will never achieve stability over a long period.

RAID 0 is (a) not really helpful with SSDs and (b) not really recommended with different drives. I've experimented with up to 4 of the same SSD in RAID 0 and it worked, but other than benchmarks gave no real world performance improvement on a desktop machine Prior to SSDs I ran all my systems off 2-4 WD raptors in RAID 0, and always used drives with the same firmware when possible to maintain stability, with great success.

I would recommend that you use one SSD for the OS and the other for programs/key data.

The video was a great explanation of your issue.

Badgerbash

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Alright, my main goal was not for performance anyways, but to have one drive. Thanks for the reply

lp231

Splendid
RAID 0 two SSD looses TRIM and would have rely on garbage collection.
A single SSD is fast enough and isn't worth the risk increase in data loss, since RAID 0 splits data in chunks between both drives.