First Mini-ITX Build Help

quinlan276

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I am building a computer for my parents. They don't need anything very powerful as this is an upgrade from a Pentium 4... I would like to use a mini ITX form factor but have no experience with them. They always make fun of how big my full tower is so I figured the smaller the better.

Basic expansion requirements are, (1) 5.25" external slot for drive, (2) internal 3.5"s, and maby a 2.5" down the road but i'm sure I could squeeze a SSD anywhere.

These are the components I am considering so far.(I have old ram and HDDs I am going to stick in it until they decide to upgrade, my budget is tight.)

LIAN LI PC-Q27B
ASRock B85M-ITX
Intel Core i3-4130T
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D

They want it to be as quiet and energy efficient as possible. This Lian case is fan-less, and I am wondering if this i3 could run cool enough for them with the fan removed from the stock heatsink? That way it would be only HDD and PSU noise. They will NEVER keep the cpu under any sort of load, opening programs and maby editing a photo or two will be the extent of the "torture". I guess the case has a fairly good passive cooling design but who knows.

The big question I have is power. This system as proposed could practically run off of a hamster wheel. I want enough overhead to be able to add a dedicated GPU at some point down the road if they develop a need, but it would only be a lower end single slot card at that. The case accepts standard ATX PSU's, but all seem too powerful for this system. The 380W antec listed above is the cheapest, certified, best rated one I could fined. If it were 250W or so I would think its perfect.

Any suggestions on any part of this system? Its early in the planning stage I just put this parts list together this morning. My personal build is loud, hot, and fast, so I need input from a different mindset.

That setup would be fine, however this would also be a case for an APU. Consider something like the parts below which included WiFi and BT on the motherboard... Anything you are looking at in this "class" is more than they would need. The FM2 processors idle with very low power consumption.

CPU: AMD A8-5500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($96.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($117.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $330.05

quinlan276

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for the tips, I should have mentioned before that i'm 100% biased to Intel... That being said I do like that power supply, 60$ for gold isn't bad at all. As for the case I do not need the added capacity/size of that coolermaster. I also don't mind spending a little more on a Lian, my parents are designers and would appreciate the minimalism. I know that my specs might be a little more powerful than is currently necessary, I just would like to make t relevant for a few extra years.

lp231

Splendid
How much is your budget?
IMO, Lian Li cases aren't that good, especially their ITX type and the side panel is a joke. I had a chance of working with one, that side panel is secure with like 1,000 screws. To remove it, it needs to remove all the screws on the perimeter of the panel. When installing the panel back it's wasn't easy either as the holes won't line up. A typical panel installation would take like a few seconds, for this it took like 10 minutes. Also those screws are cheap, it gets stripped easily.

Here is a ITX build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($121.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone SG06S-LITE Mini ITX Desktop Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208DB/BEBET DVD/CD Writer ($21.99 @ Mwave)
Total: $488.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-14 18:10 EST-0500)
You will also need a microSATA connector
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270244

This is my 2nd PC a ITX build. There is a error with compatibility on the CPU and board. Their info is incorrect. The CPU and board works fine.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22p5O

quinlan276

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Good to know Ip, I have only seen one Lian case (350$) and loved it. Not surprised quality drops off at this price point. That silver-stone is pretty nice, I might go with the one that has a PSU included. My only gripes are the slim 5.25" drive and lack of dust filters. I would probably replace the 120mm with a lower rpm scythe and that would take care of any noise issues. Budget is flexible, dont have a number to put on it.