Sign in with
Your question

Display driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode driver keeps crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2013 4:51:33 PM

I'm having very strange crashes on my PC after upgrading the drivers of my GTX 660.

I'm not quite sure what I was running before the upgrade, but when I upgraded to 331.40 the driver kept crashing. The crash happens when my PC sits idle for about a minute. Then dwm.exe starts using about 15-20% cpu. as soon as I use any form of user input (keyboard or mouse), the driver crashes and recovers.

I have no clue what could be causing this. I already posted it on an MSI board (it's an MSI card) but they were anything but helpful.

Anyone got any ideas? I already tried driversweeper, under/overclocking. Changing power states of my PCI in windows and all the performance settings in the nvidia control panel. I'm kind of lost now..

I tried everything that I could fine on the internet except for reinstalling windows. I already tried disabling Aero and wallpaper changes. Nothing is overclocked, all settings in the BIOS have been restored to default.. I'm now back to 306.97 (which is what MSI recommends) but that doesn't work either. I'm going to try beta drivers next and see what happens
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2013 4:59:30 PM

Try the latest driver again , but during the installation choose custom install and select "clean install" and see if thats fixes it.

If you keep having issues with it, roll back the pc with system restore prior to the date of that update to just get it working back to normal again if all else fails. I know its a cheat way of fixing it , but at least it may make your system stable again.
November 15, 2013 1:51:43 AM

monsta said:
Try the latest driver again , but during the installation choose custom install and select "clean install" and see if thats fixes it.

If you keep having issues with it, roll back the pc with system restore prior to the date of that update to just get it working back to normal again if all else fails. I know its a cheat way of fixing it , but at least it may make your system stable again.

I tried so many things to fix it that the restore point is gone :( 
I also ran a VRAM test over night hoping it would come up with errors so I could RMA this thing. 0 errors.

I'm going to try to install a clean windows 7 on a different hdd and see what happens, but any other ideas are more than welcome

Related resources
!