Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with what to do next?

Tags:
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
November 14, 2013 7:50:57 PM

Ok guys this is my first time building my own PC I got all the hardware hooked up and it its running good, I also Have windows 8.1 installed and the latest drivers downloaded. Is there any thing else I should do or can I start downloading games and other programs?

More about : question

November 14, 2013 8:01:37 PM

hopefully you already have a good antivirus and firewall program up and running.
November 14, 2013 9:02:52 PM

ssddx said:
hopefully you already have a good antivirus and firewall program up and running.

ya, is there any thing else i would need i forgot to mention i have used the cd that came with the mobo so i dont have to do that either
Related resources

Best solution

November 15, 2013 7:23:32 AM

this is what i typically do when setting up a pc for the first time or when reformatting and reinstalling due to some sort of issue.

-assemble parts and connect peripherals (except not internet)
-boot to bios to check if the system posts
-change bios settings if i need to
-install windows (formatting hd first) make sure you give your pc a spiffy name like HAL (2001 space oddessy), Father (alien: resurrection) or Yoko (if you're an anime fan like me lol...) completely optional!
-install gpu drivers, sound drivers, usb drivers, any other drivers you want.
-restart
-reboot into bios setting hdd to #1 boot device (so system doesnt boot from cd... makes it boot faster...optional!)
-check for display issues and check that sound is working how it should
-install antivirus
-connect to internet (you shouldnt have internet hooked up until you have av up and running)
-get updates do full system scan.
-install ms office, adobe reader, winrar/zip programs, photoshop, chrome, any other typical program you use
-customize your desktop to how you like it (use some wallpaper from the TH wallpaper thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1647-54-tomshardware-... to show some style... i have some in there too starting at the bottom of page 2 onwards :)  )

spend some time setting up your pc how you want.. background, sound settings, equalizer, putting shortcuts where you want. this can often take awhile. normally it takes me at least a week of adjusting things around while i use the pc for other tasks to get it right since i'm fussy. during this time you can install games and other programs as needed. if you use multiple hard drives its also not a bad idea to name them "os", "games", "storage", etcetera and the same holds true with partitions if you go that route. your choice.

edit:

put my wallpaper below so you didnt need to search if you were interested. ignore if you dont care but thought you might want a look.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good luck with the new build.
November 15, 2013 9:08:46 AM

ssddx said:
this is what i typically do when setting up a pc for the first time or when reformatting and reinstalling due to some sort of issue.

-assemble parts and connect peripherals (except not internet)
-boot to bios to check if the system posts
-change bios settings if i need to
-install windows (formatting hd first) make sure you give your pc a spiffy name like HAL (2001 space oddessy), Father (alien: resurrection) or Yoko (if you're an anime fan like me lol...) completely optional!
-install gpu drivers, sound drivers, usb drivers, any other drivers you want.
-restart
-reboot into bios setting hdd to #1 boot device (so system doesnt boot from cd... makes it boot faster...optional!)
-check for display issues and check that sound is working how it should
-install antivirus
-connect to internet (you shouldnt have internet hooked up until you have av up and running)
-get updates do full system scan.
-install ms office, adobe reader, winrar/zip programs, photoshop, chrome, any other typical program you use
-customize your desktop to how you like it (use some wallpaper from the TH wallpaper thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1647-54-tomshardware-... to show some style... i have some in there too starting at the bottom of page 2 onwards :)  )

spend some time setting up your pc how you want.. background, sound settings, equalizer, putting shortcuts where you want. this can often take awhile. normally it takes me at least a week of adjusting things around while i use the pc for other tasks to get it right since i'm fussy. during this time you can install games and other programs as needed. if you use multiple hard drives its also not a bad idea to name them "os", "games", "storage", etcetera and the same holds true with partitions if you go that route. your choice.

edit:

put my wallpaper below so you didnt need to search if you were interested. ignore if you dont care but thought you might want a look.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good luck with the new build.

Thanks for your help
!