Next Component to upgrade

Henri Claytor

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 30" IPS, and noticed my system not able to handle the resolution on the newer games (CoD, BF4, even D3) CPU is consistently maxed out. I was wonder what I should be upgrading next, a GTX 780 or a 4930k/Maximus Gene.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

linckmichael

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Hi Henri,

Upgrading what next depends on what kind of PC setup you have now. CPU, Motherboard, and GPU. But in this instance it can't handle the resolution, so I would suggest a better graphics card like the Asus GTX 780 3GB. Just make sure your other components don't bottleneck the 780!

Your assessment is good. Likewise, have a long at your current system and decide.

Well, I have kind of bad news for you. IPS displays are not the best gaming displays. TN-panels have faster refresh rates. You really should have bought the 144HZ monitor Tom's reviewed here.
Having said that, I guess that train left the station.

Now what you need to do is to buy a graphics card that can push the pixels out to your monitor. Good luck!

Henri Claytor

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks Karsten75,

That's ok, I got an extremely good deal on the display, I don't feel bad at all. And apologies about the system specs, I have updated my signature.

Thanks!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador

If you are actually running your cpu at 100% and your GPU isn't, that means your first upgrage has to be a processor to get any advantage. If its your GPU that is running at 100% then get the 780 first. Its all about which part is running at 100% to see which one needs to be upgraded first.