Dual Monitor trouble, DVI-D and VGA with GTX 760

muckifoot

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hello. I'm going round the twist.

I wish to run two monitors through my GTX 760 graphics card. I have an old Acer Widescreen VGA monitor and have recently bought an AOC E2343F Monitor which has a DVI-D connection and a VGA connection.

Currently I am running the Acer through a VGA to DVI-I converter into my graphics card as there is no direct VGA connection. I thought it would be simple to plug my new monitor in with the DVI-D cable into the graphics card, ask the nvidia control panel to detect the monitors and voila.

This has not happened. The system boots with the old Acer VGA monitor and never detects the new AOC one.

If i disconnect the Acer VGA monitor and boot with only the new AOC one in, then it I do see the BIOS post and the swirling windows logo then the monitor switches off. If I then plug the old monitor in then windows is displayed on that instead.

I am unable to install the driver for my new monitor for the following reasons

i) The driver came on a disk, i have no disk drive in my rig.
ii) The drivers on the AOC website are available yet I cant install them because Windows only detects my Acer monitor and decides that its drivers are better than the ones i am trying to give it. (I don't blame it really, it thinks im trying to install AOC drivers for an Acer Monitor)
iii) I can boot the new monitor in Safe Mode, they the device manager is limited in this mode and so I am unable to install monitor drivers.

Is this a resolution issue? a refresh rate issue or an analogue/digital issue?

System Specs are:

Win7 64bit
Intel I5 4670k
8gb RAM
MSI GTX 760 Graphics
MSI Z87-G45 Mobo

Thanks in advance.

muckifoot

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, when I start up the computer with the old Acer VGA monitor then it boots to windows no problem. Then if I connect the new monitor nothing happens, it does not get discovered.

If I boot with only the new monitor through the DVI-D cable then I see the BIOS post, the swirling windows 7 logo and then blackscreen and the monitor says no signal. I am then forced to plug the old monitor back in in order to see anything.

I should have mentioned my monitors are an ACER 1916W with only VGA connection. the new one is an AOC e2343F with both DVI-D and VGA outputs.

could this be a resolution issue? a refresh rate issue or an analogue/digital issue?