Inaccurate cpu temps?

BeniBlob

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hey, this is my first time on this forum :3 I want to ask why are my CPU temps on different software's so different? For example Core Temp says like 28 degrees C on idle and SpeedFan gives like 50? I replaces my Thermal paste and correctly reapplied so im not sure whats wrong with it? My CPU is an AMD FX-8320 :) Please reply if you can help :)

You could be looking at actual CPU temp on coretemp and socket temp on speedfan. Use HWinfo, it shows you both. Socket temp will be under the CPU section of the mainboard section, and CPU temp will be under where the CPU is on its own.

Also many AMDs are very inaccurate under 40C, where it starts to get more accurate.

BeniBlob

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Hey i didnt know what you really said :3 so i downloaded it and took a screenshot if thats any help :p and its higher in the screen shot because im running wow and other programs in the background :) http://imgur.com/nnpGjch

You see how there are 2 CPU readings? CPU 0 is the temperature of the CPU itself, whereas CPU (underneath 'motherboard') is the temperature of the socket that the CPU is in. Usually the socket temperature is higher, so yours is fine.

I was saying that in one of the programs you may have been looking at the temperature of the CPU itself (which is lower), and in the other it would show the temperature of the socket that the CPU is in (which is higher). In addition to that if the temperature is below 40 deg centigrade then AMD based motherboards generally don't measure them too well which would add to the inaccuracy.

BeniBlob

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Thank you so much, I was worrying about my temps so i reapplied Thermal paste but i think the paste has worked as well :p but thank so much :)