Sign in with
Your question

Tethering my phone to PC for internet - I don't want to use my data

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
November 15, 2013 1:54:06 PM

So I'm trying to tether my phone (Samsung galaxy note 3) to my PC and that is working great, but it seems like my phone is using data when I really want it to be using the in-home WiFi.

So this is what is happening:
Cell data >>> Phone >>> PC

This is what I want happening:
In-home WiFi >>> Phone >>>PC

It seems like if I shut off my mobile data plan I am able to just have:
In-home WiFi >>> Phone >>>PC
...........but I can't answer calls so it really sucks.

I was wondering if there was a work around or an andriod app that would have the advanced settings of just letting me use my Wifi and mobile data at the same time.

Thanks,
Dave
November 15, 2013 1:57:17 PM

why not buy a wifi dongle or wifi card for your pc

wifi router >>>> PC
wifi router >>>> Phone

You're making it more complicated that it should.
November 15, 2013 2:04:39 PM

getochkn said:
why not buy a wifi dongle or wifi card for your pc

wifi router >>>> PC
wifi router >>>> Phone

You're making it more complicated that it should.

I recently moved to my in-laws out of state while my wife finishes up school in half a month. After I close on a house my computer will be directly plugged in so no need for WiFi.
Related resources
November 15, 2013 2:15:37 PM

It's like $10 for a cheap wireless card. Worth the hassle to me. lol.
November 19, 2013 1:18:35 PM

You can't tether the cell phone to your PC and use the phone as a wifi card if that is what you are trying to do. Tethering is basically setting up the phone as a modem except it uses the cell data connection instead of the phone line to dial out. At least that is what I gathered you are trying to do.

You want WiFi signal to phone, then the phone connection to the PC using the USB cable so the PC will use the phone like a wifi card, is that correct?

What ends up happening is you can only get the data connection working on the PC when the phone cell data service is turned on, correct? If that's so, that is how it will work, the first option won't work.
April 24, 2014 6:12:31 PM

Actually, I did get this to work as the OP suggested and I am receiving calls and text. But I think that's a matter of the carrier supporting phone/data at the same time. Verizon can't do this, but ATT and TMO can. Another possibility is that since I'm on TMO the phone is using Wi-Fi SIP calling and that's how my calls are coming through.

Somehow I managed to tether with USB (my desktop PC is not near Ethernet cable) and have the phone connect to my house Wifi TW internet. Yes a USB/PCI wifi card would solve this, but it's working now. I was using the TMO data network and using up my tether GB but after turning wifi on and off, or getting a call or something, it started to path through the wi-fi and not the phone network. Maybe I'm mistaken and this is how it operates if a Wi-Fi signal is available, but it would seem to me that the carriers wouldn't want this so they could be for overages (even though my TMO plan doesn't have any).

Short story, OPs request works on TMO and it looks like this.
Cable internet > wifi > phone tethered> USB cable > desktop PC
!