Monitor gets no signal when I turn on the new computer?

Ashirael

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
So, I have a new computer here, and the monitor will not turn on. This is the first desktop I have ever built, so bear with me if I'm not using the proper terms and talk to me like I'm a child, please. :D

First off, here is my build:
Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card
Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze

The build I had gotten said to get a 600W Power Supply but that one came DoA and the only power supply they had in stock was the 550W. That doesn't appear to be the problem to me, however, because I plugged the PCI-E power cord from my power supply into my Graphics card and everything else in the correct spots, but when I booted the PC up the fans on the graphics card weren't turning and I was getting the No Signal. I decided it was because I had it plugged into the 6-plug slot, since the power supply came with an extra 2 prongs I plugged it into the 8-plug slot and now the fans work but the computer won't boot up and the fan over my processor won't work either.

I'm not sure where to go from here and I'm fairly irritated with the whole computer building thing anyway, seeing as parts take a week to arrive and can apparently be DoA. I would rather not have to send back another power supply and wait another week for it to get here, because my current laptop can only stay connected to the internet for an hour or two before I have to fully reboot it.

Ashirael

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
So I managed to get the computer to work by plugging the monitor into the motherboard's HDMI input, and installed Windows 8, now when I boot it up I get a little thing showing the monitor works and then the monitor stops working again. Any ideas?