how do i setup dual extended monitors with gpu and motherboard?

swishersweet

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I have a Dell Vostro 220s and just put a brand new Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 card in it.

Since both of my monitors use VGA ports, I can hook up one to the motherboard VGA socket and one to the DVI/VGA adapter for the GPU. BUT! How do I get them to work simultaneously?

I couldn't find anything in my BIOS that looked helpful either.

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
[strike]You can manually enable onboard graphics in the BIOS by selecting the option. You definitely want to set your primary graphics to the 7750 though. I'm not sure exactly what it's called in the BIOS but there is definitely an option there for you to do so.[/strike]

Ignore that, I did a little research on your particular machine, turns out they jipped you on the BIOS settings for that motherboard, so you'll have to do what the guy above stated, get another adapter and go from there.

swishersweet

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Dammit. That's what I thought because I browsed through my BIOS 3 times and couldn't find anything..

So, I'm going to need a mini HDMI to VGA adapter for my second monitor, right?
Or am I going to need an mini dp to vga adapter?
I'm not sure which socket I would hook up my second monitor into the GPU.

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
HDMI-VGA is probably going to be the easiest to find, if not, idk if this will work or not, but you could get a HDMI - DVI adapter and then a DVI-VGA adapter, though the degredation will probably be quite high.

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
That will work perfectly.

some monitors have a Display Port on them to use. Unless you have a monitor with it, it's pointless. I wish they would just get rid of those display ports personally, use the space for something that people actually want, like a 2nd DVI port or something. Oh well, just my opinion on it.

swishersweet

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah. That would be way more useful. So for future reference, would I go into the window's screen settings when I'm setting up dual monitors or the catalyst software for my graphics card?

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Either way, up to you. Changing one will change the settings for both, so it doesn't really matter which place you go to. I find it easier in the windows personalize screen personally, but the catalyst isn't hard to use either.