Random freezes after SSD installation

Blunder-mc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hi. What are my options, please?
I installed new Adata 120gb ssd on my old system. Clean windows 7 64bit install.
Motherboard Asus P5N-E-SLI with Q6600 and 8gb ram at 800Mhz, 450gts vid card.
After couple days, I started to get random freezes, noise, mouse freeze.
I flashed Bios to latest 1406 from Asus website, but it didn't help.

Blunder-mc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Sorry for late response. My motherboard doesn't support AHCI :(
Not sure what's causing random freezes yet. I keep looking for info and changing drivers, settings, but nothing solved my problem so far.
Also, sometimes when I switch computer off, - monitor powers off, but pc stays on and I have to switch it off manually.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
it may just be that ADATA SSDs are not that great. i had one and after 3 weeks, had to send it in under warranty. had freezes in both AHCI and IDE mode, at random times (4 days uptime or just 38 minutes of uptime).

have you tried doing a fresh install onto a plain hard drive, and see if the problem still shows up? i ended up putting my OS on a WD Black (while that ADATA is being shipped back and forth), and thus far it's 100% flawless..... makes me think that at least on my system, the SSD is the key culprit.

you may have another separate problem with the monitor/computer power-off thing, though.

Blunder-mc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I got this ssd to replace my 3 year old wd hdd, which died. So I have 2 options: get new hdd, or try installing this ssd in my wifes 8 years old laptop(not sure if it will work at all :D)
Also, can I use some kind of ssd checking software to see if it's not faulty?
Thanks for your help.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
i recently bought the Pro version of HDSentinel, but didn't get a chance to run it on my SSD before sending that out for replacement. in any case, you can run a TRIAL of the Pro and see if it can flag anything for you

http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_professional.php

left side, download. not sure what the trial limits are, but worth a shot tonight.

then over the next few days, maybe consider buying a new HDD on some holiday sales - i'd pick one that you'd keep if things DO work properly once installed on the HDD instead of on an SSD. in my case, a few weeks ago i bought a WD Black 750G (2.5" version) when it was on sale. cost me $70 or so, and i've been happy since.

my local store is pretty good about doing exchanges or store credits, so in the long run i'd think it would be a no-lose proposition (except maybe a small restocking fee, which some stores waive if you go for the store credit version)

but first, i'd try that HDSentinel thing.

Blunder-mc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Update so far:
I used HDSentinel and SSD is fine. Then I decided to get new HDD. Got 1TB WD Caviar Blue. Still getting same issue, so at least that proved there is nothing wrong with my SSD. Tested ram with 86 memtest. Ram is fine. Downloaded SpeedFan and was monitoring when pc froze. No changes in temps, or cpu loads, or gpu, or psu volts. I guess my motherboard is on it's last legs, since I can't find what is causing freezes.
I tryed changing video and sound drivers, but no luck so far. My last test before complete rebuild will be fresh windows install with basic drivers just to check if it's not software issue, I guess :(