My first gaming PC: Is it good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenthell

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Hello, :)
I am trying to build a gaming PC and because this is my first time doing so, I thought I should ask before ordering the parts. The games I will be playing are Battlefield 4 and GTAV (when/if they release it). I did some research, asked some friends and here is my progress so far:

-CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
-Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (will upgrade to 16 in the future)
-Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
SSD in the near future...hopefully
-Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
-Case: Cooler Master Force 500 ATX Mid Tower (Subject to change, I don't want to spend too much on a case though)
-Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

My budget is around 1000$
The graphics card is very important!

Questions:
1. Is the build good? Why (not)?
2. Can I run BF4 Ultra settings?
3. BF4 Ultra + Recording?
4. BF4 Medium + Recording?

Thank you! :)

TheIronDUke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Okay so for the GPU i recommend gigabytes version of the 280x. I have that card myself and it is amazing. If you are just gonna be gaming you don't really need an I5 you would be all right with an 8320 or fx 6300. To answer your questions: It is an okay build but what is with the 80+gold PSU that is so overkill for a non crossfire or SLI build. You can run bf 4 on Ultra (though the question you should be asking is what frames you will get on ultra, which is 50-60 fps). Depending on what you record with you will see a 10%-30% drop in frames while recording but still expect anywhere from 40-50 fps which does not matter because most screen capturing software records gameplay at 30 fps. On medium you will definitly get 60+ fps.

Final suggestions: Downgrade the CPU to say an fx 8320 and get a Asus m5a97 r2.0 motherboard. If you are just gaming you do not need an insanely powerful cpu and since you never mentioned crossfire or SLI you don't need a super expensive motherboard. For a case I recommend the define R4 or Corsair 300r. I use the define r4 myself and it is an amazing case. Easy to work with and it looks great. Well have fun building.

Grenthell

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Thank you for the quick response! I will most likely get the GB R9 then. I chose this power supply, because I will be overclocking a little, I don't want to save from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.