best 9.5mm 5400rpm HD to replace PS4 stock hdd (HDD vs SSHD)

Anttirokkr

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
hi guys, I'm looking into some hd's to replace my ps4 stock 500gb HGST drive.
It's a 5400rpm 7mm 2.5 inch with 8mb cache
(model N° Z5K500 / HTS545050A7E380)

I've seen a couple of models out there , I'm not considering a SSD because its too damn expensive to justify the performance boost (also I'm short on cash).
So, my struggle lies between a classic laptop hdd with more capacity vs. a SSHD with a little improvement on read/write but less space.
(I saw a video on youtube demoing the sshd on a ps3 loading Dragon Age 2 and the level load time was almost 2x faster, don't know if the PS4 will benefit from it though)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-OMi6RWpY

Also, IGN tested the stock drive vs a SSD and the SSHD that I listed below from seagate. have a look at the results if you wish:
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

The models I saw around on the internet were:

- Seagate SSHD ST1000LM014 1TB
5400rpm / Cache 32mb / Sata 6 Gb/s
(H 9.5mm x W 70mm x L 100mm)

- HGST Travelstar 5K1500 1.5TB
(H 9.5mm x W 70mm x L 100mm)

- Seagate Spinpoint M9T 2TB
(H 9.5mm x W 69.85mm x L 100.35mm)

I only found the first one to buy online...no trace of the two other ones.

I just want to stay above 1TB of capacity...tell me what you guys think, and thank you in advance for your replies.
Cheers

popatim

Titan
Since only the SSHD is available, your options are none and your question is mute. Get it. At worst is the same as the 500gb the PS comes with. Just keep in mind that you have no control what-so-ever of what gets stored on the SSD portion of the drive so only frequently used files will get stored in the 8gb of the ssd.

pstech

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

The seagate m9t wont be out until 2014 but there are about 6 drives that work best with the PS4 I found 2/3 you mentioned here - http://boxclash.com/ps4-hard-drive-upgrade-guide/ since the 3rd one isnt available yet. The SSHD is pretty much reporting to be the best to buy since it gives more space + improved load times

Snipa07

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Yea I'm having the same problem. I've done a bunch of research on this in the past couple days since the ps4 came out. I seen that video too with the ps3 testing of an sshd and a regular hdd. The m9t is the one I had my eyes on but yea it's not out yet. To be honest I don't even think 1tb is enough. Originally I tried looking for a 3tb but that's when I found out about sshd's and ssd's (although I would never spend money on that). I would say do what I'm doing, find a 1tb sshd for a cheap price that you can live with and then wait for the m9t to be available.

MountainMotor

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did with the Seagate ST1000LM014 because mine was defective right out of the box. I was hoping for improved boot and load times, combined with extra storage but after installing the drive Day 1 to find it was defective was frustrating. I'll probably wait for a 1.5-2tb drive next year.

MountainMotor

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I've heard of a few others that have had DOA drives but for the most part reviews seem to be fairly positive overall. I probably just got a fluke drive but after receiving a "new" drive that was already defective makes me question buying another one.

Snipa07

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Yea it's weird I usually don't shop on amazon but it's always seemed to be a reliable site to shop. I actually found one myself that was 1tb 2.5" sshd but I don't know, it looked a little sketchy. There was no company name in the title, there was only one pic and it was the back of it so I couldn't get the company, model#, etc. and it was just weird. I got a bad feeling about it.

This, if it is defective though you can always RMA it and attempt to get a refund!

MountainMotor

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Yea, that's what I did. Amazon now has a disclaimer on the drive page saying that they've had complaints about the drives so they aren't selling anymore until they figure out if they have a bad batch or not.

JustAwonder

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Did you use the 1GB 1.5 patch from Sony which includes the OS and 1.5 update? Or did you just use the 400 mb file when you replaced the hard drive?

MountainMotor

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

I used the 1.5 patch

wreckball

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I tried searching for some internal hard drives on newegg.com which is the place I normally use but they didnt have a couple of them. I think the best option right now is the SSHD from Seagate that Amazon carries. The hybrids are testing pretty good and not nearly as expensive as the SSDs - I just picked one from here - http://boxclash.com/ps4-hard-drive-upgrade-guide/

MountainMotor

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I'm going with the HGST Travelstar 5K1500. They have them on Amazon, Tigerdirect and eBay. The reviews so far have been really positive.

wreckball

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I would get the 1.5TB 5k1500 if you plan on buying a ton of games and not removing them the downside is that its 5400RPM vs 7200RPM. The RPM has showed to improve load times and it may be worth it to get the 1tb 7200 instead of 1.5TB and just remove games you are not using instead.

or even going with the 1TB SSHD

MountainMotor

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

I was thinking of going with a 7200RPM drive but the risk of over heating the system and possibly causing more noise, I didn't feel it was worth it. Since Sony added the play as you download feature, it doesn't take but a few minutes to get playing any game while the rest of it downloads in the background so I don't feel that the faster drive would be much of a benefit. Also, another guy was talking about how the stock drive is 5400RPM and wasn't for sure if the power system in the PS4 could handle a faster drive long-term which I thought was a good point since the system is designed around a 5400RPM drive. I can tell you that the system is surprisingly fast even with the slower drive.

wreckball

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Looks like I am getting a new TV with my hard drive too! Up to 50% off LED TVs - http://boxclash.com/50-led-tvs-black-friday-week/

Just wanted to jump in here.

I agree with getting the SSHD. I just bought one for my laptop and have done a lot of reading on them. I have seen people who have had them fail right out of the box, but this doesn't seem to be any higher number of failure than typical HDD DOA rates. I have seen people going on saying how terrible the drives are, and calling SSHD's a short lived fad, waste of money, and several other things. All of them extremely over critical.

The SSHD is your budget friend. The current generation of SSHDs use an algorithm that Seagate put a lot of work into. It notices what files you access a lot and then copies it to the NAND. Please note it copies it, not fully moves it. After accessing a file 3-5 times it will be cached and load much faster. I assume what was seen on the PS3 was similar events that after starting a game a few times it was moved and then had super fast load times.

If you stop accessing a file as much, and use something else it will erase the NAND for the new data.

For actual transfer, read, write, etc. the performance will be equal to any 5400 RPM HDD with a 64MB cache. In truth the read/write seems to be very slightly worse from the older series, but the older series just used the NAND completely as cache and lacked the abilities that the new algorithm brings.

Long story short, once you play a game a few times the performance in loading should shoot way up and be much faster than any HDD, and save you a fortune on an SSD. Probably the best way to go. If you haven't bought it yet, try Newegg ASAP. Black Friday sale I got the 1TB for I think $85. Great price!

reza666

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Totally agree with @IInuyasha74. I use the Seagate SSHD ST1000LM014 and must say i'm really happy with the speed. I have had the bad luck with the drive since it causes my PS4 to crash for some reason. I tried the original disk to test and see if it really was the disk causing the crash and confirmed it being the case but during my test i notices how much slower everything was. For ex going in my library which has allot of items was really slow i had not noticed. In general i felt the SSHD was much faster so for the price it cost i think its a good purchase. Now i just have to change my bad drive with a good one :)

Onos86

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Anyone yet a WD WD10S12X yet? Wondering how that extra space of the ssd side stacks up to the Seagate