Hopefully I still got a chance

unsw1tchd

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Ok so, I'm 30 years old and sadly, I have no past work experience. Never had a real job before, since I was kind of the young, stupid, unambitious type, but since the last couple years, I've been wanting to do a complete 180 on myself and make myself a better, more positive, successful individual. So now, I'm currently a freshman/full-time student at Broome Community College, majoring in Computer Science/Networking technology and I like it very much, since I've always liked computers and the stuff I'm majoring in seems like alot of fun stuff to learn. My grades are currently in the 90s, so that's obviously good, but the real question is this : When I graduate, would I still have a shot of employment in the computer field as a first job and such?? Please, no negative comments. I'm being definite serious about this.

Solution
Depending on your skillset then yes, absolutely you may have a chance. The issue will arise when employers look at your history and wonder what you've been doing for this amount of time. That will hurt you initially and you may have to take a lower paying job that you may be overqualified for. Don't be discouraged if that occurs, just continue to work on both your technical and soft skills and keep trying to advance within an organization.

Honestly, how good are your communication and presentation skills? That will be key in you overcoming your lack of employment history as many other people I see starting out in their careers don't present themselves well. They may not dress as professionally and carry themselves as professionally.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Depending on your skillset then yes, absolutely you may have a chance. The issue will arise when employers look at your history and wonder what you've been doing for this amount of time. That will hurt you initially and you may have to take a lower paying job that you may be overqualified for. Don't be discouraged if that occurs, just continue to work on both your technical and soft skills and keep trying to advance within an organization.

Honestly, how good are your communication and presentation skills? That will be key in you overcoming your lack of employment history as many other people I see starting out in their careers don't present themselves well. They may not dress as professionally and carry themselves as professionally.

Solution