MSI 970A-G46 connection issues (first time build)

Sethoven

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Okay, so I built my computer in late October. I put it together with help from a friend to make sure I didn't muck anything up. The problem I'm having is trying to connect my PCs motherboard (DB9 port) to the HDTV I have (only monitor on hand, ballin on a budget, etc etc.). I've tried about 3 different cables now, including HDMI (GPU), DB9 to VGA15, and DB9 to DB9, all to no avail. I know all of these cables and the TV work and have tested them. ALSO, it appears my USB ports aren't working, as my keyboard isn't recieving power. What did I do wrong and how can I fix these issues? Thank you.

My rigs specs:
MSI 970A-G46 ATX mobo
AMD 6350 CPU
AMD Radeon 7850 GPU

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
It's a little difficult to understand what you are saying, some of the sentences aren't constructed well. But, the first thing I can think of from what you mentioned is that you are a first time builder..You should always work in layers to ensure all your equipment is functioning as it should, skipping this will give you a long hours of troubleshooting that could be unnecessary. But either way, a couple of questions,
Is the cpu seated properly?
What's your PSU?
What your RAM?
Are you sure everything is compatible and seated properly?
Because those cable converters (as I like to call them) aren't always compatible both ways (thanks a lot amazon)
We want to ensure everything is compatible and seated properly? No bent pins, etc

Bent pins in my experience that I've seen, will gives you crazy because a clients keyboard wasn't working, nor the monitor wasn't turning on, simply by not seating the cpu properly.

Lastly, do you have a simple monitor we can test it on.. A simple VGA monitor will do, to ensure your GPU is working properly.

Sethoven

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

My bad on sentence construction. I was tired and frustrated when i posted this lol. Like I said, I had a friend help with the assembly so I could make sure that nothing would turn out wrong. Everything is mounted \properly to my knowlege. The cpu and gpu fans work, so I know that they are receiving power and are seated correctly as far as I know. As for bent pins, all of the pins seem to be okay on the cpu and everything fits into the connection ports. I have a 650 watt PSU (rosewill) and 2 4-gig ram cards (corsair vengeance i think). Also, everything was listed as compatible on the website where I built the computer. As for the monitor, I don't currently have access to a standard monitor (only an HDTV with VGA, DB9, and RGB connectors) so that could be a potential solution. I'll update if anything changes.

Thyrax

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
No worries Sethoven,

If you had a diagnositics card, it may help a lot on seeing what issue you may have. I also wanted to point out, are you getting any message beeps while powering on the PC? Those beeps (if you installed your Case Speaker) do tell you whats going on.

Just a thought.

Let me know what happens!