First Ever Custom Gaming Desktop

Ser Warbird

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Hey guys never used this site before but it seems like a great resource. I'm seriously considering building myself a gaming desktop, but I have no clue which components would be best/compatible with each other etc. Here is what I'm thinking of going for:

1) Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 512 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive

2) PC Power & Coolin​g 1200W Silencer MK III Series Modular Power Supply

3) EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked with EVGA ACX Cooler, 2GB GDDR5 256bit, DL DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Ready Graphics Cards

4) Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive

5) MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z87-G45

6) Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

7) Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache

8) NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Case

Looking at this again, I'm pretty sure that the power supply is overkill but it got fantastic reviews and I would like to have it in case I ever decide to get a 2nd graphics card in SLI mode.

Thank you.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Need a CPU cooler, might look at the Hyper 212 EVO, would lose the mobo, won't bul on MSI, poor QC, maybe look at the Asus Z87-Plus - Yes ;) PSU is overkill, for SLI a good 8-850 is more than sufficient

Ser Warbird

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I'm thinking around $1000-1200 or so. And yeah I realize now that the 1200W is total overkill, would an 850W be perfect? And why is there no need for 16GB of RAM, would the computer never utilize that much even in the near future?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With the newer games like BF4 recommending 8GB and games becoming more memory centric I think 16GB is a good amount - especially with prices still rising and will probably continue to as the manufacturers continue to gear up for DDR4...Plus you may want to do streaming and other things while gaming

Ser Warbird

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I've been looking at this motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H. Everyone seems to like it. What do you guys think? I have my cpu, cooler, cpu fan, graphics card, case and memory picked out so just need to decide on a good motherboard.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah 850W would be much better. As far as the RAM goes - it's expensive and games don't need or use 16GB of RAM.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Going in and up pricewise - I'd look at the Asus Z87-A then up to the Z87-Plus, then the Gryphon and at top their Maximus VI Hero - sticking with Asus as from what I've seen through builds, Asus still has the bast handle on the Z87 and the Haswells, thus the best performance