Filling 2 TB HDD cause slowdowns?

alexlol

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Fisrt off, I apologize in advance if this has been already answered, it's just that I don't know how to search for this.

I have my OS installed in my SSD and I have a 250 GB HDD for storing games and stuff and most of the programs are installed there. Now I'm planning on upgrading motherboard+cpu and I'll have to re install Windows 7 and I was thinking to get a 2 Terabytes hard drive because I feel having 250 is nothing so, my question is:

Would it be alrigth to install ALL the programs I have on the 2 teras hdd and also store all the games and the other stuff I own in there?

I ask this because I remember reading something somewhere about filling a "big" hard drive causes loading slowdowns, and I have a lot of things that I want to install and store in the 2 teras HDD and I would like to use the 250 HDD AND another similar HDD I have for backing up the most important things. I'm also a little short on money, and I don't know much about computers. What do you guys think, should I combine installing programs on the 250 gb HDD and storing on the 2 Teras HDD? Or get two 1 Tera HDD's? Any ideas? I think I'm really filling at least 1.5 Teras.

popatim

Titan
the new 2tb drive will be faster than the old drives. I would use it for everything and delegate the old drives to backup drives. this is as long as we are talking about the same rpm speed drives; ie - 7200 rpm for both new and old. It wouldn't be fair to compare a new 5400 rpm (green) drive to something like an old velociraptor (10k rpm drive)

otherwise you are somewhat correct. As you fill a hard disk drive data gets written from the outside of the platter inwards. The inner tracks transfer data slower than the outer tracks simply because they rotate slower beneath the heads.

You might be interested in this hybrid drive which has a large (8gb) SSD cache to speed up frequently used files - esp useful as a boot drive.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I run a 120GB SSD and a 500GB System drive. Ignoring the other 4 storage drives I have, I run windows and frequent games/ apps off the SSD and everything else is installed on the HDD.

250GB will take a while to fill, just put the programs/games you want to load fast on there and the others on the HDD. Make sure you get a Barracuda or a WD Black for your HDD. Black is faster but more expensive and both are better than the WD Blue.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
@popatim - Op says 'I have my OS installed in my SSD and I have a 250 GB HDD for storing games and stuff'.

You had me worried for a second, I though I had replied to the wrong post.

@Alex - The 2TB drive will be fine for what you want to do. Again just avoid the WD Green drives.