How to get really good with software/os?

aokigahara

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Hey guys. I've been in love with computers for almost my whole life, and I feel like I definitely have the hardware aspect of it down (having built a few high-end desktops). But I'm not all that great with the software field. I guess you could say I know more than your average Joe, but I want to be able to do whatever I want and fix all the problems that the teachers at my school constantly complain about. Is there something that you guys would recommend watching or reading to master an OS? I'm particularly interested in the Windows platform, especially Windows 7.
Thanks a lot in advance :)

1. Take a course in Windows 7.. or
2. Buy Windows books, all Windows Systems are basically the same just presented in a different way, so, all the settings you find in Windows XP are also in Windows 7 and 8, so once you get to know one system you basically know them all.
3. Read here and everywhere you find the information you're interested in learning about, particularly read in the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles. Also, a big part of learning comes from helping others because you learn as you help... on your own you may come accross an issue or two now and then, but when your interests include helping others, you search harder for the answers.
4. It takes time, a logical mind, and the will to get your hands on Windows no matter if you mess up.. so, if you have the means, I'd suggest you build a cheap system, old or new... to tweak with and won't matter if you mess up, so you can get some hands on experience as you learn.

Windows 7 books
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awindows%207%20books