What speakers to get?

johnnym3334

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hey guys, ive been searching for about a week now and we all know how difficult it is to buy speakers online when we cant hear them for ourselves, i drive a 2007 Saturn sky without monsoon system. So i came looking for opinions, i talked with the guys at crutch-field and they recommended some. I'm looking for a component speaker system and i want to combine 2 3 1/2 speakers with that. I'm looking for speakers in the price range of anywhere from $0-400, and want the best quality i can find not necessarily the loudest the component systems i have been recommended to this point are:
-Alpine SPR-60C 6.5"
-Infinity Kappa 60.11cs
-JBL MS-62C 6.5"
-JBL P660C 6 1/2"
-Focal 6 1/2 (cant remember the model)
Out of these which is best? and are there any other speakers out there that are better than these that i could look into? And for 3 1/2 speakers i need recommendations because i have gotten nothing for those except for:
-Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx
ALL opinions matter to me. Thank you very much!

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I'd pick the Focal components first. I have a set of the Infinity Kappa perfect components in my Jeep and while I like them they aren't really the quality I had hoped they were. You also need to run all of those component speakers off of an amp. The actual wattage out of any head unit will not work well with any decent component setup. You can actually damage speakers from under powering them. A decent head unit will put out 10-15 watts rms even when they say 50w per channel. As well the distortion level from a head unit is much, much higher than an amp. So much so that I've used stock front speakers and ran them through an amp and nobody could believe they were stock.
Why do you want to add some 3 1/2" speakers? If you want 3 speaker components get a 3 speaker set as the crossover will be set for 3 speakers. The point of a 3 way having a dedicated mid bass, mid range, and tweeters. If you buy a 2 speaker set then you'd be adding the 3 1/2 on to the woofer side as well which defeats the purpose of it while not improving sound quality. I'd suggest just getting the one set of components and a quality 2 channel amp to power them.
From Crutchfield for $430 I'd go this route. Slightly over but all quality and worth the extra in my opinion:
Focal Access 165A1 SG $250
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165A1S/Focal-Access-165A1-SG.html?tp=106
JL JX360/2 $180
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136JX3602/JL-Audio-JX360-2.html?tp=35757
If you already have an amp then for the components I reccomend:
Focal Performance PS165 $400
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091PS165/Focal-Performance-PS-165.html?tp=106#customer-reviews-tab
These are absolutely amazing speakers for the price. Although again if you don't have an amp then the cheaper ones with the amp will serve you much better.
You should be able to find those for cheaper elsewhere as Crutchfield doesn't really seem to have the greatest prices. Up here in Canada I can usually haggle with local stores to get slightly better prices than them.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008

Bad advice there. While pioneer has some good stuff when getting in to component sets they are not at the same levels of others. Especially when compared to the Kappas, Boston Acoustics, Focal, and JL components out there. Never stick with just one brand, unless of course you're sponsored, because some make great amps but iffy speakers and vice versa. I love infinity kappa speakers I would never use one of their amps. Also JL amps are great but their subwoofers, while awesome, are overpriced for what you get. In my jeep I use a JVC head unit, infinity kappa components, JL amplifiers, and a JL W6 V2 sub. The sub I got for $200 off so it was worth it at the time.

tomforucase

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
JL amplifiers, and a JL W6 V2 sub. The sub I got for $200 off so it was worth it at the time.
yvISPb

TRENDING THREADS