GTX690 or GTX780ti

Toolguns

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I own a 690 and game at 1080p 120hz. Which card would suit me best for a g-sync monitor next year? The 2gb available vram on the 690 concerns me.... I saw my 690 cap out and go over 2gb on bf4 ultra a few times, nothing major, mostly butter smooth gameplay. Any suggestions?

Solution
If you already own a 690 which supports G-Sync, I think other than power consumption you wouldn't see drastically higher performance on the current 780ti.

If your 690 caps out on the vram and becomes a problem, the 780ti with the larger amount of vram would be the answer. If you take the route of replacing the GPU due to insufficient vram, I would wait for the 6gb version of the 780ti, instead of buying the 3gb version, which should be released soon.
That would give you a lot more leeway for future games which will most likely increase the vram requirements as more and more processes get moved to the GPU along with higher quality textures as well as affording the opportunity for further SLI configurations.
If you already own a 690 which supports G-Sync, I think other than power consumption you wouldn't see drastically higher performance on the current 780ti.

If your 690 caps out on the vram and becomes a problem, the 780ti with the larger amount of vram would be the answer. If you take the route of replacing the GPU due to insufficient vram, I would wait for the 6gb version of the 780ti, instead of buying the 3gb version, which should be released soon.
That would give you a lot more leeway for future games which will most likely increase the vram requirements as more and more processes get moved to the GPU along with higher quality textures as well as affording the opportunity for further SLI configurations.

Solution

Toolguns

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

Thanks - I also see the 690 is still outperforming the GTX780 TI. So I guess I might take a look at Maxwell when that releases near year. I am only tempted to upgrade because my GTX690 is only covered under warranty until July 2014 by Dell. If I sell the 690 for about $600-650 on Ebay, I know I can get a GTX780TI from EVGA and get a 3 year warranty with it.
Decisions, Decisions.....

Toolguns

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

Yes, I would assume with 2GB I would be okay to max most games @1080p until 800 Series. Every year though I'm amazed how much Vram these new games are gobbling up.