Two Internet Connections (Routers) on one LAN.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Hi,

I have a small business setup, with a basic network used for internet, file sharing and voice calls (VoIP with 8 SIP channels) that I maintain myself .
Everything is connected on the same LAN to one router, via CAT5e patch panel and two gigabit switches (one PoE), internet is through a single ADSL line, connected to the router.

All is working fine, but I would like to add another ADSL line via another router, specifically for voice calls.
I only want the phone system to use the 2nd ADSL line/router, but I need the phone system & phones to still be visible to everything else on the LAN.

I was thinking I could achieve this by turning off DHCP/Wifi on the 2nd router, and simply changing the default gateway on the phone system to the new router.
I'm thinking maybe it isn't just that simple and I might be missing something? So I thought I would ask here first.

This would be the new setup -

192.168.0.1 - Router 1 with ADSL Line 1 for Data. (DHCP Enabled Range 11-199)
192.168.0.2 - Router 2 with ADSL Line 2 for Voice. (DHCP & Wifi Disabled)
192.168.0.3 - Linux File Server

All Workstation and mobile/tablets would be set to get addresses from DHCP on Router 1 (some wired/some wireless)

The following devices would have static addresses and would use 192.168.0.2 as a Gateway -

192.168.0.200 - Asterisk Phone System
192.168.0.201-212 - IP Phone Extensions 201-212

All devices on the network would still see and communicate with each other.

Would this setup work as required? Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Your method will work fine to do what you want. It is actually that simple... but some people don't understand static assignments of IP so simple for you and me.

I was assuming this was the normal question we see here how do I make my PC use both connection to increase download speed. That one is actually kinda hard and it is not really possible to use both connection efficiently.