Sign in with
Your question

Asus m5a97 le r2.0, 2x4GB RAM recognized in BIOS, only 4GB reported in win8.1

Last response: in Motherboards
November 19, 2013 5:23:27 PM

Not sure if this is a property of new dual channel functionality, or something along those lines, but having not built a new system for many years, this new one I just got done is a little confusing to me: I acquired an asus m5a97 le r2.0 mobo and two 4gb corsair ddr3 1600 sticks. Placed them into the "blue" slots (2 and 4, I believe), and everything seems to be ok when going into the detail info report into the BIOS: both slots recognized as having 4GB and appropriate specs. The problem is that the BIOS overall info, as well as win 8.1 reports only 4GB. Is this a new feature of how the dual channel and reporting works, or ... else ...??
a c 121 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
November 19, 2013 5:41:29 PM

What version of windows do you have? It sounds like you have an x32 bit version, where you can have 4 gigs at max. If you want more, you need x64 bit for 32 at max, or professional/ultimate to get 192 max.
November 19, 2013 6:44:18 PM

Gam3r01 said:
What version of windows do you have? It sounds like you have an x32 bit version, where you can have 4 gigs at max. If you want more, you need x64 bit for 32 at max, or professional/ultimate to get 192 max.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I am sorry about the misleading (by being incomplete) subject. I know about the limitations of 32bit. I do have the win 8.1 pro 64bit installed. În the same body of my original message I specified the strangest thing: the main/first screen of BIOS reports a total of 4096 MB, but the advanced info in the BIOS "sees" two 4096 MB DIMMs in slot 2 & 4 (actually #1 & #3, as the mobo slot numbering starts at #0).

So - back to my original Q: is this how the new BIOS versions allegedly associate w/dual channel hrdw configs report the memory? Is this why win 8.1 is also following suit? Or else???
a c 121 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
November 19, 2013 7:47:45 PM

The BIOS should report it as 8 gigabyte, 4x2 dual channel. Mine reports it as 8 gigs 8x1 because Im running single channel until I have the money to get dual Chanel.
I have the same board and bios and thats how it shows.
With 8.1 im not entirely sure where its coming from, it could likely be showing how much each stick has. I would try CPU-Z and see what it says.
!