Need advice on older graphic cards for ASUS P5Q Pro

hunteri

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I asked this question in the Video games forum but this might be a better venue.

I want to buy a new graphic card but my motherboard is ASUS P5Q Pro.
Here is the specs to my MB card
http://

so I basically want to get the best possible card my MB can handle. I am leaning towards a Nvidia card. Let me know what you guys and gals think.

I was thinking of buying a new computer but I cant justify it.

CURRENT SYSTEM:
Windows 8 64bit
MB Asus p5q Pro
8 gigs ram
Intel core2 Quad Q9550@2.83GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Dom_79

Distinguished
You're Mobo can technically handle some pretty amazing video cards but since you're only running @2.83Ghz and by the specs on the asus site have at best DDR2 1200Mhz ram you might want to look at the GTX650 ti and ti Boost cards. Possibly even the GTX660 but the games that you COULD run at great FPS/ Resolution/High-Ultra settings would start to get bottle-necked by your CPU and RAM

Just my two cents I'm no expert- you can tell because I have no badges ;)

hunteri82

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Cool Thanks...are these cards (GTX650 ti and ti Boost , GTX660 ) better then the ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series? is it worth updating?

I have the 5850 card

monsta

Splendid
Hey there, the best thing for your older system is to get a good cpu cooler and overclock your Q9550 as much as possible to alleviate any bottle neck you may get from a gpu upgrade
Upgrade your gpu to a 7870 or a GTX 660 and you will see a decent increase in gaming performance from your 5850 with the gpu upgrade and cpu overclock

hunteri

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

Oh cool Thanks....ya I think I will definitely buy a GTX660 (I want those PhysX )

I have never overclocked before would it be ok to do it with these
MB Asus p5q Pro and Intel core2 Quad Q9550@2.83GHz? (I only ask because I am told that some MB don't do well overclocking...I wouldn't mind trying it...what Cooling (brand/type) would you recommend?)