How do I properly do fresh install of ASUS Maximus VI Hero + Win 7 system?

mystiky

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I am about to build a brand new hardware system, and want to make sure I do the driver installation in proper order.

My hardware:

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache (Haswell)
16GB (8Gx2) GSKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX R Memory
Samsung 840 Pro SSD (256 megs)
Seagate 2GB hard drive
NVidia 660 Graphics card
+ other stuff like power supply, case, etc..

I will be doing this using Windows 7 SP1 64bit Ultimate.

I wish to install the Win 7 onto the Samsung SSD drive. Then, should I install the latest Intel / Motherboard Drivers, NVidia drivers and only then run the Windows Update for Win 7 SP1 before connecting the Seagate 2GB HD?

Will Windows 7 SP1 automatically recognize the SSD drive during installation?

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First follow this tutorial for installing Win7 to a SSD. There are a few idiosyncrasies that require special attention with a SSD: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

If the above makes your head spin, then just install Win7 (with SATA Mode set to AHCI in BIOS) and do this afterwards: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html
It's basically the same thing.

After you install Windows (it will install its own default drivers for all your devices), then run the driver disk that came with the MB. You don't have to install all the bloat-ware that is on the disk. Just the drivers for the devices you want to use. Then do the Windows updates. They will require quite a few attempts because some updates depend of others being installed first. It usually takes several hours of downloading, installing.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Might want to skip the dick that comes w/ the mobo, many of the drivers are outdated before you even buy, can go to your mobos site and simply downlad all the latest drivers there - might check BIOS versions while your at it ;)

Latest posts