setting up 3 1440p monitors for gaming with 3 way SLI 780 Ti's

abyssbreak

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
as you read in the title I have 3 1440 monitors I am trying to set up and play games on. I want the game to span all monitors. But I can't figure out why it isnt working. The Ultra high speed HDMI does not work on the Yamakasi for whatever reason. It reads it but no picture displays. When I use 3 DVI cables on all three cards the displays work fine but I can't enable SLI and I can't play games across the three monitors. Help me guys. What do I need to do to get this beast of a setup to work right?

I am using these monitors: 2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY0X59885 and 1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY1322642

Solution

That's what I'm trying to tell you: these monitors are notorious (google it) for having inconsistent refresh rates. This is precisely the reason it's recommended to buy monitors of exactly...
Sep 22, 2013

I can't find the refresh rate for either of these monitors anywhere, but if they aren't running at the same refresh rate, it won't work w/multiple monitor setup.

That said, you must use DVI to use that resolution in most cases. So start there.

Your monitor output settings are in the Nvidia control panel. If your monitor isn't responding, try moving it to a different card. If it works on a different card or cable, then you know one of those are your issue.

If all cards work with a given cable, you may just have a bad cable. Try them individually (one monitor output).

More than likely, if you're getting a black screen on an otherwise good monitor and none of the cables or cards are bad after testing individually, you have a refresh rate issue.

I've seen some posts on other forums where people are pushing the refresh rates on these monitors and in some cases, they come at a default 120Hz, sometimes an odd 80Hz, and sometimes 60Hz. A few posts claim only 50Hz.

They seem very unreliable, and a 6-8ms response time is terrible for gaming.

Good luck, though.

abyssbreak

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
not getting black screen on any monitor. all monitors running at 60hz refresh. but when I go to enable surround in SLI settings it comes up an error and says that i need a different display and that all displays need to run a common resolution (they do), a common refresh rate (all run at 60hz) and sync polarity (no idea what this means).

also only get black screen when i try to run one of them on a high speed hdmi that SUPPOSEDLY works for 1440p. right now I have a DVI cable plugged in to them all and I have 1 card running each monitor.

Sep 22, 2013

That's what I'm trying to tell you: these monitors are notorious (google it) for having inconsistent refresh rates. This is precisely the reason it's recommended to buy monitors of exactly the same or as close as possible, to the same model in a multi-monitor configuration.

The resolution is dependent on the refresh rate as far as the driver is concerned: 1920x1080@60Hz vs. 1920x1080@120Hz is considered two different resolutions, which is why you're getting the "common resolution" issue. Try manually setting each monitor to a specific (60Hz) refresh rate in the driver and the monitor (if it let's you - many monitors don't have a configuration for this).

You will NOT be able to run one monitor on HDMI and the rest on DVI, it's all or nothing.

The sync polarity is due to not being able to match the screen's resolutions; so it all comes back to the refresh rate, I'd guess.

Honestly, if you're within your return period, I'd return all 3 monitors. You have D-class monitors with A-class video cards.

Solution

walterdt

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I have three of the QNIX qx2710's with two GTX780 TI's, and have no problems going into surround. I have two connected to the primary card (closest to the CPU) and the third connected in the DVI-D port on the second card. You may want to remove one of your 780 TI's and see if it works.