Custom Gaming Rig

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
I am about to buy my custom gaming Pc. I mean part by part of course and I was wondering I have an Asus g72g Gaming laptop right now that is just dated and cant run games as well anymore. Is it possible for me to take my Hard drive I have in my laptop and put it in my new Pc? This would save me like 100 dollars on an OS if my current OS is on the Hard Drive ( idk) and some money in the future when I need more space than a 1tb Ill have a 1.5tb and I also have a external 500gb Hard drive as well. What do you guys think? Is this Possible? Is it worth it or should I just get another OS? ps there is a lot of random junk on this hardrive that I dont want nor need and I have no idea how it got there and dont want that just the OS. Also I obviously will be getting a SSD so would it be better to have the OS on that?

Oh ya almost forgot if I did this I would be able to take my 1tb hard drive and OS of the list giving me enough money for a 2tb Hard drive which I would never need to upgrade, One last thing can I download my OS onto my External Drive and just transfer that to like my SSD or is that just completely wrong horrible idea that would never work and makes me look like a retard?

Solution

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

If you're getting an SSD it would be an absolute waste to not put a clean installation of the OS on it. So I would personally recommend buying the installation discs. I think you'll be happier with it in the long run.

However, if the HDD from your old ASUS still is healthy, you could use it instead of buying a new one. Just remember to back up the important stuff and format the drive after you've installed the OS on your SSD. It would save you $70. To test your HDD, run "chkdsk" in command prompt.

Hope that helps!

DonQuixoteMC

EDIT: To respond to your edit:
I tried getting around buying installation discs with that exact same logic once. Let me just tell you that it's a long, bumpy road with no satisfactory conclusion. As much as I hated it at the time, biting the bullet and buying the disks was the best decision I could have made. It will save you a lot of stress (because you simply cannot do it otherwise).

Solution

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Okay thank you this really helped and no matter how much I dont want to, I dont want to have a horrible headache in the future and will go ahead and buy the installation disks.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Haha :)
I know the feeling too well!
If you ever have any questions with the build or with setting anything up, just let me know!

DonQuixoteMC

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Okay haha okay I'll probably take you up on that. I'm sure I'll run into a few problems putting everything together. It is my first time building a Custom Pc. Again thank you for the help.