Is 2560x1440 at 120hz unrealistic?

Chris_Spencer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Hello. :bounce:

i7 4770k OC to 4.4
16-32 gb ram
SSD
GTX 780ti with the possibility for SLI in the future?

I know there are a few threads discussing this but I have been unable to get any real clarity on the matter. Most likely because my knowledge on the subject is weak so please correct me if I am wrong. :??:

I know that higher than 60 fps on a 60hz monitor can still make the game feel smoother due to reduced input lag etc? but to really take advantage of high fps you need a high refresh rate monitor? Am I right.

I have been reading around and now know that you can't really get a 1440p 120hz monitor out of the box but you can get certain screens that allow you to overclock them up to 120hz? e.g catleap/overlord. Is this worth it and what would sort of GPU would I need to run say BF4 Ultra at 2560x1440 up to 120hz?

But...is this really worth it? and is 'it' much hassle, what is involved in overclocking a monitor to above 60hz?

The reason I want to know is because I am greedy....I have been waiting to upgrade my computer for a while now and the time had nearly come. I always wanted a big 27" monitor with a high resolution to marvel at but I have been hearing great things about 120hz monitors and now i'm stuck for choice....

If anybody could shed some light on which might be better or what you have experienced with monitors you have bought i would be very grateful.

Much respect.

Chris

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The human eye can't differentiate more than 35?(thought that was right) fps. Going above your monitor's refresh rate is only worth it b/c when things get more intense on the screen the frames drop for a split second before the card catches back up, I honestly don't know why the higher mhz screens exist, but some people love them. I've used 120hz montiors, and didn't notice anything different (had a really clear picture compaired to a POS monitor, but same as any other quality one). I'm pretty sure a single 780 ti can't pull 120 fps on maxxed settings at 1440p anway, but there is not need for that many fps. I would just buy a nice solid 1440 monitor and enjoy, no reason to try and "oc (this makes me laugh)" your monitor.

Chris_Spencer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Well your eye might not be able to see more than a certain amount but from what I've read the games certainly feel more fluid.

And oc the moniter may be amusing to you but it's the term I've heard used in quite a few places.

I think I agree with your decision tho. Going with a solid 1440 does seem like a good idea I just don't want to miss out on a 120hz... If they are worth it.
Thank you for your opinion.

Chris_Spencer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

So you would recommend just going 60hz with 1440p?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I figure the 1440 won't change things, but from what I've seen a 60 hz monitor, with framerates capped at 75 fps seems to work pretty well gives it a little extra room to catch up in spots where it might have dipped below 60 fps. Thats how I run mine right now and Have yet to actually see stutter

Chris_Spencer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Ok sounds like i might just ditch the 120hz for the higher resolution. does it look nice in comparison to 1080?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If the game/file/program was coded for 1440 it does look awesome, obviously not the same shock you got the first time you saw HD (assuming you're old enough to have watched 20 years of standard def TV before it came out), but it is noticable, and you actually have rig capable of running 1440, I don't but I've played around with a few that were, is pretty sweet to see.