Used a DVI adaptor for HDMI - any idea why HDMI only now doesn't work?

ed_in_the_bush

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I have an Acer Aspire S3 laptop, which comes only an HDMI output. When I first got it, I used it in an office I work at, using a company Benq GL2450 monitor via HDMI with no problems. Super simple.

Recently, I bought my own Benq GL2450 monitor as I work from home a lot. By mistake, I got one that only has DVI input. No problem, of course, I just got a DVI male to HDMI female adaptor for the HDMI cable and it works fine.

However, now I notice that I have real problems in getting the laptop to connect to the 'old' HDMI monitor in the office, and often it doesn't work at all (Obviously, I've remove the DVI adaptor and I just use an HDMI cable straight into the HDMI input.)

I know the cable is not the fault, and I know the HDMI output on the laptop works fine (because there are no problems using the DVI monitor)

Would really appreciate any help - sounds silly but taking up so much time and driving me nuts. Wondering why on earth this might have happened? I'm no IT expert, could it be that using the DVI monitor has led to a driver or a setting being changed that is stopping the old HDMI monitor from recognising the signal? I have played around with the settings but no joy!

THANK YOU!!!

Ed

Xondat

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Some systems do not support adapters and some graphics cards do not take adapters (sometimes doesn't accept 2 adapters at a time).
Have you tried using another adapter?

I believe he is saying that he isn't using an adapter when he is at the office, just a regular HDMI cable from the laptop to the monitor but it is no longer working.

ed_in_the_bush

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Thank you Xondat, but yes as Burden Bound says, when trying to use the HD monitor I just use the normal HDMI cable, so it's a mystery why the HD monitor now says there is no cable output (it used to work just fine)

I just tried the naked HD cable on another identical benq HD monitor and it says the same thing, so it isn't a monitor fault.

As you can imagine, I'm a not that IT literate but I'm trying to think if there is a setting or output data format that might have automatically changed when using the DVI adapter, even though this is (of course) attached to the very same HD cable and runs from the same HD output.

Mysteries of IT...

Thank you for the replies so far!!!

Ed

I would try using a different HDMI cable, I know it sounds like it won't matter but you will be surprised how many things work and make no sense.