Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Microsoft Wants to Sell You Anti-Google Mugs and T-shirts

Last response: in News comments
Share
November 21, 2013 3:04:58 PM

There are literally tens of people who are going to be excited about this.
Score
7
November 21, 2013 3:06:42 PM

Doesn't the "Step into our web" shirt work both ways? I actually kind of like it.

Not enough to pay for it though.
Score
1
November 21, 2013 3:08:56 PM

Meanwhile they give the biggest insult away for free, internet explorer. On a side note though it really is the single best browser to download chrome with.
Score
3
November 21, 2013 3:10:10 PM

The typical people I run into on a daily basis would never understand any of it. So, it really wouldn't be any fun for me to wear. I'll have to pass.
Score
1
November 21, 2013 3:10:48 PM

As if MicroSoft is any better, charging $60 a month just to get a phone number for Skype for a year, and they collect all your data by trying to force users to install that crappy Bing bar inside IE. A situation of the pot calling the kettle black. Except in this case, MicroSoft's services are no where near as good as Google's.
Score
1
November 21, 2013 3:13:14 PM

at minimum, these should be free. honestly Microsoft should pay us to wear these
Score
3
November 21, 2013 3:19:00 PM

As if m$ or any other major company wasn't spying on you LAUGHABLE....
Score
3
November 21, 2013 3:22:56 PM

How about:

Microsoft: Pot Meet Kettle
and on the back:
We should probably fix our crap before we start slingin it on other companies.
Score
2
November 21, 2013 3:45:22 PM

When a company resorts to low brow tactics like this you know they're running on fumes. If it wasn't for Microsoft's huge cash reserves they'd be on their way out already.

If they're going to survive they need new leadership.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 3:48:43 PM

@ badaxe2

"When a company resorts to low brow tactics like this you know they're running on fumes. If it wasn't for Microsoft's huge cash reserves they'd be on their way out already."

Like the same low brow tactics that Apple used against Microsoft for years?
Score
1
November 21, 2013 4:00:51 PM

But google already knows everything about me... I'm afraid what they might do if I wore an anti-google T-shirt
Score
4
November 21, 2013 4:01:56 PM

Cant take competition eh Microsoft?
Score
-1
November 21, 2013 4:03:29 PM

@invlem - They will post your private browsing history.
Score
1
November 21, 2013 4:10:39 PM

badaxe2 said:
When a company resorts to low brow tactics like this you know they're running on fumes. If it wasn't for Microsoft's huge cash reserves they'd be on their way out already.

If they're going to survive they need new leadership.


Na, ... Microsoft is a giant "blue chip", steady earnings of several billion every quarter(4 months). And realistically if Windows & Office somehow disappeared; world infrastructure/economy would collapse. It would be like the end of time...

Google is just a big seller of ad space. If they went away... Google maps would be missed, that's about it.

However, as far a this bashing goes. Only Yahoo seemed to fight for the rights/privacy of the little guy.

Score
-1
November 21, 2013 4:41:17 PM

Some one just send MS a blue mug. They'll get the message... Unless they use explorer to open the package :zippy:

Cheers! :p 
Score
1
November 21, 2013 4:53:00 PM

Thief calling out thief.
Score
1
November 21, 2013 5:11:44 PM

Yeah... they'e the same in every way.. :D  :D  :D 
Score
2
November 21, 2013 5:25:05 PM

I actually kind of like the "Step into our web" shirt but for the wrong reasons from MS' perspective. MS needs to stop this - I use chrome because the Web already monitors everything I do and at least it's not a PoS like IE.

Deal with it. Your browser is barely relevant to what gets tracked online - your surfing habits are.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 5:42:24 PM

wdmfiber said:
badaxe2 said:
When a company resorts to low brow tactics like this you know they're running on fumes. If it wasn't for Microsoft's huge cash reserves they'd be on their way out already.

If they're going to survive they need new leadership.


Na, ... Microsoft is a giant "blue chip", steady earnings of several billion every quarter(4 months). And realistically if Windows & Office somehow disappeared; world infrastructure/economy would collapse. It would be like the end of time...

Google is just a big seller of ad space. If they went away... Google maps would be missed, that's about it.

However, as far a this bashing goes. Only Yahoo seemed to fight for the rights/privacy of the little guy.




A big part of why Microsoft shows a profit every year is based around the fact that they make around $2 billion on patent lisencing fees on the sale of Android devices. In fact, that's what is keeping their Bing and Xbox divisions floating as those lose around that each year.

There are more people running Android devices in the world than Windows and most major government institutions run Linux for security and stability anyhow. The world could switch to Linux real easy and keep going just fine.

Office is becoming obsolete to the point where they are actually copying the collaborative elements of Google Docs to stay relevant. The time is soon coming where it will be marginalized freeware.

These antics do nothing more than portray Microsoft as the sore loser and spoiled brat of a company that it is. I can honestly say I'm proud that my household and the households of my immediate family will finally be Microsoft and Apple free after Christmas this year.
Score
1
November 21, 2013 5:44:26 PM

lol, sell em? no, give it away for free? maybe.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 5:56:55 PM

I am pretty sure they get more sales on these product if they sell Anti-Apple version....
Score
0
November 21, 2013 5:58:18 PM

I love how the Google exec got all self-righteous when he found out the NSA was tapping into their data base.

Yeah, freaking steal all the info from people, even those that aren't even signed up for Google+, have the largest data base on those people ever created, and you don't expect the NSA to take advantage of it? Why should they do the work you've already done for them?
Score
0
November 21, 2013 6:19:55 PM

I don't see why so many of you are against this. Microsoft has done some pretty shady things, but they aren't making billions of dollars by selling information about people. It really like like Google is trying to become Skynet.
Score
-1
November 21, 2013 6:33:07 PM

xroe said:
Meanwhile they give the biggest insult away for free, internet explorer. On a side note though it really is the single best browser to download chrome with.


If you use Chrome then you must not care that Google tracks everything you do and even if you tell them not to, they do and they sell it anyways.

As well I noticed a lot of hacks for Android phones were happening through the WebKit enabled Chrome which means that Chrome on any platform, or Safari, are just as insecure.

I have been using IE9/10/11 and I love the TLP lists. They block so much crap, even that's on THG. THG looks like a nice clean website and there are no adds at all with TPL lists which is built into IE.

JD88, you might want to check your facts. The 360 started profiting a couple years ago. And Microsoft never makes much on the console itself, but rather XBL, the game sales and other subscription based services.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 6:55:35 PM

LL928 said:
I don't see why so many of you are against this. Microsoft has done some pretty shady things, but they aren't making billions of dollars by selling information about people. It really like like Google is trying to become Skynet.


jimmysmitty said:
xroe said:
Meanwhile they give the biggest insult away for free, internet explorer. On a side note though it really is the single best browser to download chrome with.


If you use Chrome then you must not care that Google tracks everything you do and even if you tell them not to, they do and they sell it anyways.

As well I noticed a lot of hacks for Android phones were happening through the WebKit enabled Chrome which means that Chrome on any platform, or Safari, are just as insecure.

I have been using IE9/10/11 and I love the TLP lists. They block so much crap, even that's on THG. THG looks like a nice clean website and there are no adds at all with TPL lists which is built into IE.

JD88, you might want to check your facts. The 360 started profiting a couple years ago. And Microsoft never makes much on the console itself, but rather XBL, the game sales and other subscription based services.


Perhaps you should tell that to Business Insider Jim:

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-earns-2-billio...


What do you guys think Bing is? A search engine that tracks what you enter in order to provide targeted advertising. Exactly the same business model as Google. In fact, Microsoft wants to be Google. Ballmer has said as much.

Microsoft fanboys also fail to mention how Microsoft has been overcharging the public for years by hundreds of dollars for an overrated operating system and office suite. They have been using monopoly power to do whatever they want for over a decade and can't do it anymore now that competition exists so they are throwing a fit.

Google might be taking my data but at least they aren't taking my money.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 7:31:37 PM

JD88 said:
LL928 said:
I don't see why so many of you are against this. Microsoft has done some pretty shady things, but they aren't making billions of dollars by selling information about people. It really like like Google is trying to become Skynet.


jimmysmitty said:
xroe said:
Meanwhile they give the biggest insult away for free, internet explorer. On a side note though it really is the single best browser to download chrome with.


If you use Chrome then you must not care that Google tracks everything you do and even if you tell them not to, they do and they sell it anyways.

As well I noticed a lot of hacks for Android phones were happening through the WebKit enabled Chrome which means that Chrome on any platform, or Safari, are just as insecure.

I have been using IE9/10/11 and I love the TLP lists. They block so much crap, even that's on THG. THG looks like a nice clean website and there are no adds at all with TPL lists which is built into IE.

JD88, you might want to check your facts. The 360 started profiting a couple years ago. And Microsoft never makes much on the console itself, but rather XBL, the game sales and other subscription based services.


Perhaps you should tell that to Business Insider Jim:

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-earns-2-billio...


What do you guys think Bing is? A search engine that tracks what you enter in order to provide targeted advertising. Exactly the same business model as Google. In fact, Microsoft wants to be Google. Ballmer has said as much.

Microsoft fanboys also fail to mention how Microsoft has been overcharging the public for years by hundreds of dollars for an overrated operating system and office suite. They have been using monopoly power to do whatever they want for over a decade and can't do it anymore now that competition exists so they are throwing a fit.

Google might be taking my data but at least they aren't taking my money.


I never said anything about their search engine, just the browser. In IE9+ you can block most adds and stop most sites from tracking you. By default the DNT is enabled in IE10 and up, which is what Google got in a fuss about.

Personally I don't like getting emails that find and use names of contacts on my phone to sell so spam can be thrown at me.

As for the OS, Windows is a great OS. Its easy to control via GP and AD and Exchange is a great email tool. Office, I don't use much but I have used everything from Office in the 95 days to anything in between and I can say Office is the easiest to use.

And your article is talking about android patents, not how much they make from ad revenue. Microsoft has many ways to get money, OS, Software etc. Googles main source of income is ad revenue. They own the largest web advertising agent in the world.

Its not quite the same as Microsoft can do without the money from ad revenue as they have other sources of income.
Score
-3
November 21, 2013 7:38:31 PM

This is what Microsoft does instead of creating products we actually want on their own merits.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 8:02:37 PM

vmem said:
at minimum, these should be free. honestly Microsoft should pay us to wear these

yeah, 100% agree! cheapskate M$ should pay us for wearing these instead of robbing our good money again in the pocket, we are not their tools or zombies, if i hv to pay for these crap, i rather wear a spondebob t-shirt
Score
1
November 21, 2013 8:05:29 PM

JD88 said:
wdmfiber said:
badaxe2 said:
When a company resorts to low brow tactics like this you know they're running on fumes. If it wasn't for Microsoft's huge cash reserves they'd be on their way out already.

If they're going to survive they need new leadership.


Na, ... Microsoft is a giant "blue chip", steady earnings of several billion every quarter(4 months). And realistically if Windows & Office somehow disappeared; world infrastructure/economy would collapse. It would be like the end of time...

Google is just a big seller of ad space. If they went away... Google maps would be missed, that's about it.

However, as far a this bashing goes. Only Yahoo seemed to fight for the rights/privacy of the little guy.




A big part of why Microsoft shows a profit every year is based around the fact that they make around $2 billion on patent lisencing fees on the sale of Android devices. In fact, that's what is keeping their Bing and Xbox divisions floating as those lose around that each year.

There are more people running Android devices in the world than Windows and most major government institutions run Linux for security and stability anyhow. The world could switch to Linux real easy and keep going just fine.

Office is becoming obsolete to the point where they are actually copying the collaborative elements of Google Docs to stay relevant. The time is soon coming where it will be marginalized freeware.

These antics do nothing more than portray Microsoft as the sore loser and spoiled brat of a company that it is. I can honestly say I'm proud that my household and the households of my immediate family will finally be Microsoft and Apple free after Christmas this year.

Well, I understated the money. But ya.... multiple sources of income for sure. But that 2 billion is a joke, overall they make that in just over 3 weeks. Anyway call it 500 million a week/25 billion a year, plus or minus a billion or 4.

Exxon Mobile makes more thou. There have been quarters where they've made(and I mean profit, not revenue) 1.2+ billion/week, for months on end.

Too much money for many companies is a problem. They can't do anything with it... antitrust!
______________________
But touch is probably a fad, you just can't do much with a fablet. If history repeats itself "Windows 9" will be a huge success and profits will be up! lol...
Score
-2
November 21, 2013 8:08:10 PM

wdmfiber said:
badaxe2 said:
When a company resorts to low brow tactics like this you know they're running on fumes. If it wasn't for Microsoft's huge cash reserves they'd be on their way out already.

If they're going to survive they need new leadership.


Na, ... Microsoft is a giant "blue chip", steady earnings of several billion every quarter(4 months). And realistically if Windows & Office somehow disappeared; world infrastructure/economy would collapse. It would be like the end of time...

Google is just a big seller of ad space. If they went away... Google maps would be missed, that's about it.

However, as far a this bashing goes. Only Yahoo seemed to fight for the rights/privacy of the little guy.


all the US base tech company sell or gave customers information to the US government, this is what the government want, if they don't follow the order, they will hv to shutting down.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 8:50:29 PM

Google th... oops! I mean, Bing this Microsoft --> "Microsoft allowed the NSA access to Skype, Skydrive and Outlook"

This campaign is so hypocritical I just may cut off my John Thomas in protest.
Score
1
November 21, 2013 8:52:15 PM

I remember when microsoft had a bing vs google blind test “Bing It On Challenge".
Google won

As far as I know google keeps the top 10 visited pages that you go on, I thik its for the google+ adds.

I have no idea if google would give my information to the FBI or Police if something happened, then I might use a different search. I would rather have a search engine that didn't send my searches to other sites. Or store any personal information at all.
Score
0
November 21, 2013 9:03:22 PM

I remember when microsoft had a bing vs google blind test “Bing It On Challenge".
Google won

As far as I know google keeps the top 10 visited pages that you go on, I thik its for the google+ adds.

I have no idea if google would give my information to the FBI or Police if something happened, then I might use a different search. I would rather have a search engine that didn't send my searches to other sites. Or store any personal information at all.
Score
-1
November 21, 2013 9:41:14 PM

Microsoft's latest attempt to capture the dorky white people market.
Score
1
November 22, 2013 12:42:23 AM

Reeking of desperation. If you can't beat them, talk shit about 'em.
Score
1
November 22, 2013 1:33:41 AM

I would not even wear that for free (not that i love google but i do respect it in many situations), much less pay for it.
Now, on a side note, isnt this like .... dunno, forbidden. Well if google dosent strike back, ill have a lot more respect for them.
We learned this one from politics man. When you cant say anything good about yourself, you start talking trash about others.
Score
1
November 22, 2013 1:56:02 AM

Funny Story,
I was setting up a PC and opened up IE to DL Chrome, IE predicted several hours to DL, so I abandoned the DL. I next DLed IrfanView and it's installer popped up a box that said they recommended Chrome and asked if I wanted to DL it. I clicked yes and seconds later the Chrome loader showed up then DLed and installed Chrome in a couple of minutes.

Funny only seconds after IE told me it would take hours. Hmmm.
Score
1
November 22, 2013 1:58:57 AM

Microsoft is that threaten by Google?
Score
0
November 22, 2013 1:59:57 AM

Do you guys see how ridiculous M$ is doing?? Yes Google has ads. But at least they are FREE ads. For the M$, you need to BUY these t-shirts to advertise for them!!
Score
1
November 22, 2013 5:37:46 AM

Ok, all the people calling out MS for doing the same thing does not exhonerate Google from doing it in the slightest - 2 wrongs do not make a right, didn't they teach you that in school?
Score
-1
November 22, 2013 6:20:33 AM

wow talk about pot calling the kettle black
Score
1
November 22, 2013 7:28:40 AM

Microsoft and Google are "equally" horrible.
Score
-1
November 22, 2013 11:47:02 AM

apple fanboys would buy those..not the microsoft fanboys (if there are still any)
Score
1
November 22, 2013 11:59:35 AM

More MS stuff that isn't selling...I find this hilarious Windows 8 and 8.1 are not selling worth a damn. Most people hate Office 2013 and most resellers hate Office 365. Sever 2012 R2 cost more then double what server 2008 R2 cost. XBOX One spy's on your every move and sends the info to MS to collect and sell as they please, and MS is making fun of Goggle and pointing out their faults, ROFL. It would probably have been better if they spent the marketing money fixing all their crappy products.
Score
1
November 22, 2013 12:06:43 PM

wdmfiber said:
badaxe2 said:
When a company resorts to low brow tactics like this you know they're running on fumes. If it wasn't for Microsoft's huge cash reserves they'd be on their way out already.

If they're going to survive they need new leadership.


Na, ... Microsoft is a giant "blue chip", steady earnings of several billion every quarter(4 months). And realistically if Windows & Office somehow disappeared; world infrastructure/economy would collapse. It would be like the end of time...

Google is just a big seller of ad space. If they went away... Google maps would be missed, that's about it.

However, as far a this bashing goes. Only Yahoo seemed to fight for the rights/privacy of the little guy.



FYI there are 12 months in a year so there is only 3 months in a quarter not 4.

MS is bleeding cash like a slaughtered pig and some investors are watching very carefully ready to pull their money some already have.

Do you know who owns Yahoo these days, lol.
Score
0
November 22, 2013 12:12:00 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
There are literally tens of people who are going to be excited about this.


And I'm one of them.

Imagine a flash mob wearing these when the Google Street View car goes by!
Score
-1
November 22, 2013 12:14:21 PM

What could google possibly track that's sensitive about you that your ordinary browsing habits wouldn't give away anyhow? Seriously. All the browsers collect that info. Once you're online, your private info is not private.
Score
1
!