Noobish Questions about a Second Monitor

Nagarya

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
So I'm thinking about getting a second monitor for my pc. I currently have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 monitor that I use for gaming. I'd like to have a second monitor so I can have an internet browser open to check email, watch netflix, etc. What I want to know is:

-Does my second monitor need to have the same size/resolution/refresh rate as my current monitor?
-Does it matter if my second monitor is IPS since I'm using a TN monitor currently?
-My GTX 780 has DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, and DisplayPort as available ports, and I'm using my current monitor in the DVI-D one. I suppose it depends on the monitor I'm looking at, but should I plug my second monitor in somewhere in particular? (I'm afraid I don't know much about these ports)

I'd greatly appreciate any help/advice. :)

Solution
Question 1: No, it does not.
Question 2: No.
Question 3: Any port would work, considering that there is that port on the monitor. Just so you know, A DVI-I port can be used with a DVI-D monitor, DVI-D just carries an analog signal as well as a Digital signal.

Edit: DVI-D is digital, DVI-I has an integrated signal. Thanks k1114 for clearing that up.

Froggytv

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Question 1: No, it does not.
Question 2: No.
Question 3: Any port would work, considering that there is that port on the monitor. Just so you know, A DVI-I port can be used with a DVI-D monitor, DVI-D just carries an analog signal as well as a Digital signal.

Edit: DVI-D is digital, DVI-I has an integrated signal. Thanks k1114 for clearing that up.

Solution

Dvi-i has both, dvi-d is just digital.

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
You can add any type of monitor you want there are no limitations. You should only consider buying a second monitor of the same model, when you are setting up multimonitor configurations, where your screen must be basically stretched. And again this is mainly done for practical purposes and smoother gaming. Also you can connect your second monitor to any of the extra ports .

Hope this helps!