Mid-High End Gaming Build

thegwd

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Been a while since I built a PC, went Laptop and liked the mobility, but the power is nothing compared to a well build machine. Plus I'm pretty sure my laptop's gpu will give out at any moment. I am currently using an Asus G73SW-A1.

So here is the current Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/26Ikg

Things to consider:
I have plenty of HDD's the SSD is just for OS and basic storage.
Future plans include more RAM (total 32gb) and an extra GPU to SLI
If you can find a motherboard with awesome built in Wifi that would be great.

Opinions, criticisms, anything that would help me find a balance to this build would be great. I want to avoid building anything with a major choke point in the hardware.

Budget is $2000 USD

thegwd

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Can you elaborate on why you don't recommend a 2011 platform for a gaming build?

thegwd

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

So I am guessing since games still don't take full use of the cpu's and ram, I will most likely only be getting insane fps with a second gpu?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
While not a lot to gain right at the moment - as more and more games become more memory centric and follow in using multiple cores it can prove for a good build - It's far from obsolete, the newest CPUs on the market run on the platform, and if you want to run multiple GPUs, it's the best platform available, if going X79 would suggest the DRAM in a four stick config to take advantage of Quad channel

thegwd

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Thanks, I was also reading that the memory is choked by the cpu, and reading that 1600 is the proper speed if im not overclocking. Would you agree?