MSI GTX 760 OC 4GB vs ASUS R9 280X 3GB for gaming build?

geetaradam

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I had gone back and forth between these two previously, but it was the 760 2gb version that I was considering before. I came across the 4gb version for the exact same price as the 280X. I know the amd card performs slightly better in benchmark tests, but I prefer nvidia. I've just had less problems with them in the past and have even noticed that the appearance seems slightly different between the two camps in terms of colors and pixelation. If I get the nvidia card, I'll probably get another to run SLI in a couple years, rather than buying an entirely new card. If that's the case, should I just stick with the 2gb version, as that upgrade would negate the future-proofing advantage that comes with the 4gb version? I plan primarily to play games like BF4, GTAV, Arma 3, Company of Heroes 2, etc....

monsta

Splendid
If you are playing on a single 1080 monitor with no plans to upgrade to a higher resolution or to multi monitor the 2 GB model will do just fine, if you wish to add another monitor or go 1440 res anytime soon then the 4GB model would be the best choice. I feel the same as you about the Nvidia cards, another option is to save a bit more and go for a GTX 770

gack2009

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
I think You can get GTX 770 and do SLI in future if you like I think gtx770 2GB better than r9 280x and gtx 760.
I was looking for graphics card for few weeks and everybody told me the gtx 770 better.
So I'll try it.

geetaradam

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I think I've decided to go with the R9 280X. I think I'd outgrow the 760 too quickly, and the 770 is more than I want to pay, plus it only has 2GB vram. While I prefer nvidia, I'm afraid if I fork out the extra cash for one of their cards, I'll have to skimp on some other component. Thanks for the advice, everyone.