• Buy new PSU for my pc.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Or buy a new PSU and GPU.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Johnsonalpha

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
im running a Amd fx 6300 with a gigabyte 970 motherboard and gigabyte r9 280x with 4GB of Kingston blu ram with a 500w cooler master PSU i was playing battlefield 4 when my computer shut off and wouldn't turn on so i decided to take out my 24 pin motherboard connector its kinda hard to take out so i pulled it out and my hand slide to the side and hit my r9 280x and scraped the PCB and loosened up a component here 2 link to the pic i didnt break the thing off its just loose because theirs to sides to it and one side i think a broke the solder can i solder it back on?
btw when i hit it i pluged back in my 24 pin and was using the gpu just find even with the gpu thing broke but i turned it off this night and this morning it wouldnt turn on
my r9 280x fans run good it just doesn't give out a HDMI signal is it my power supply or my gpu?
and can i just solder that piece back on and is my power supply not enough power.

btw this is a custom built pc

http://s746.photobucket.com/user/gpuboss/media/gigabyte-radeon-r9-280x_base_zpsaf40a84f.jpg.html

http://s746.photobucket.com/user/gpuboss/media/img_9317_zps0009b85e.jpg.html

Johnsonalpha

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
when i first ran mt r9 280x it ran good but know it doesnt send out a signal after i hit that thing on the pcb it worked for a day then today it wont work

Johnsonalpha

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
no my computer worked good before i turned it off when i hit the pcb my gpu worked for about a day the today it wont send out a hdmi signal

ok but you said ur computer shut off which is why u dove into the case and unplugged the 24 pin connector correct? if thats the case im going to say its ur power supply what brand is it?

Johnsonalpha

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
it a 500w cooler master extreme power supply its preety cheap... i also using a molex to pci adapter if that has anything to do with it
i checked gigabytes site and 280x need a 600w or higher psu it might be the psu

yeah, but you also broke your card.....
will the pc power on if you remove the card? if not then yeah, its most likely the psu. you can test the psu by unplugging all the power connectors from your pc components, get the 24 pin connector, and short the black and green wires with a paper clip, (this will turn on the psu), then if it doesn't turn on you know its dead. while its on you can also get a multimeter, measure the voltages to make sure your getting the 5v, 12v and 3.3v on the appropriate wires.

Johnsonalpha

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
lol believe it or not i got it working and my psu is working fine it turned on and my pc started up just fine but i have lines of colors flickering across my screen so i then wiggled that piece that i loosened then it flicked to the windows logon screen and is working fine i going to solder the piece back on and if it doesn't work i just make a new pcb for my gpu btw... i'm a computer chip developer for intel so i found out how the gpu is wired up so
i guess i take some extra time and get my pcb soldering machine out and get it fixed i might create a thread following my progress. THANKS

pcb soldering machine? get a soldering iron on it!

Johnsonalpha

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
its huge machine that you insert the PCB into and the machine registers it and reads the encryptions that are imprinted on the PCB and it drill holes with a super tiny drill bit and uses like a needle small soldering tool and it will add capacitors, resistors, inducters etc. it takes about 4 hours it'd be cool if i made a triple gpu card.