Amd fx-6300 vs Amd fx-4300

Lew256

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Hello there

I want to buy a pre-built gaming pc and have narrowed down my choices to two. Should I pay a little extra for six cores , I understand games will start to moved towards six cores in the coming future. I will be playing skyrim, metro & Dota 2, will this be ok?

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/custom-built-computers/fx-six-core-4-1ghz-1tb-8gb-1600mhz-amd-r7-260x-2gb-demon-computer-windows-7.html

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/custom-built-computers/fx-quad-core-4-0ghz-1tb-8gb-1600mhz-amd-r7-260x-2gb-demon-computer-windows-7.html

Thank you!

Best regards.

Solution

You are right. Crysis 3 does use more than 4 cores. What I meant to say was that even a 6 core system like fx-6300 is still slower than i5s.

robax91

Distinguished
Both will play those games just fine, but pre-builts are way more expensive than building yourself (or having someone you know do it). It's such a small difference in price, if you are planning on buying one of those right now, get the 6-core. It's hardly a difference in price, but there should be a noticeable increase in some titles that use more cores and in some applications that use multi-threading.

I'd suggest trying to get a r9 270x in either of those. fx-6300 is better though. This idea that 6 cores is where gaming is going is nonsense. There is no game on the market (even with release of BF4) that utilizes more than 4 cores. New i5s will outperform fx cpus.

What resolution is the monitor you are gaming on?

You are right. Crysis 3 does use more than 4 cores. What I meant to say was that even a 6 core system like fx-6300 is still slower than i5s.

Solution

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

agreed i5 is definetly faster and yes even fx 8xxx cpus are behing i5 even in crysis, it could change in the future but for now intel has performance

I love the fx-8320 for price/performance, but Intel seems to be winning the battle on best gaming cpus. I'm praying AMD can get back to some glory.