Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Neither (Explain)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Desasosiego

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Hello people.

I'm getting a pc, approximately in new year, by that time the custom cooled R9s will probably be out.

My question is the following:

What would offer more performance for the money given that the 800 series is almost here?
I don't mind noise, I do mind heat however and throttling.

So GTX780 vs R9 290 is it.

Also please do suggest from whom should I pick my card, be it Asus, Gigabyte, Sapphire, etc

Thanks in advance.

The R9 is tempting me, but I'm reading some bad press about it.

Derppppp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
R9 290 performs better than a 290x overclocked.
I would recommend an R9 290, better performance (and is a good overclocker), a whole extra gig of Vram, and cheaper.
Noise and heat should be solved with the upcoming release of the non reference cooled GPUs.
Sapphire Vapor-X or Toxic.
Asus have good cooling options too.

corvetteguy1994

Distinguished
or if you buy an msi 290 they dont mind you modding the card as long as you ship it back in the original state for rma if need be you can get the arctic cooler. i had one on my 7970 before i went crossfire and water loop.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Maybe wait and see what happens with Mantle. We have been led to believe that its release is going to be this month for BF4. If what AMD said about it being 'up to 45% faster' with Mantle then deffo get AMD. But if they remain silent on Mantle then go with Nvidia, at least they delivered Physx and G-Sync.

Also I recently got a Sapphire R9 290. But they have ran out of BF4 codes and have said they have no idea when they will get new ones which peed me off. Also I signed up for Sapphire Select Club (Gold Member) and they have no offers, free game promos or in fact anything else they tell you that you can get for signing up. They literally get your email address and thats it.
If you go for an R9 290, maybe consider this Gigabyte one:- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-133-GI

It comes out of the box with non-reference cooling (Windforce), a high clock rate and a 3 year warranty!!!