Steam Gaming Machine

paecificjr

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I was one of those people who said, "Let's wait and see what the new consoles are like," then was disappointed. I've heard that both have had many flaws, bugs, and just general design problems. So I, wanting to build a computer, said, "Let me build my own steam machine." I started by opening up excel and starting a cost spreadsheet. Here's the parts I thought would make an awesome machine...

• Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Gene
    CPU: Intel i7-4960X
    RAM: Adata XPG V2 (16 GB in a 4x4GB configuration)
    Hard Drive: OCZ Z-Drive R4 800GB
    Video Card: Two Evga 780TI SuperClocked
    PSU: XFX Core Edition 850W
    Disk Drive: Panasonic Slim Blu-Ray Burner
My thought was make this small yet powerful. The video cards would be in an SLI configuration. I decided that a PCI solid state would be the best because most games require the reading and writing of data - why not make it faster? I would probably wait until I have finished with all my C, C++, and C# classes before building this. Why you might ask.

I thought up an idea while finding parts. My question, "What do gamers want?" The answer, "Absurd amounts of power and graphics. Functionality and beauty." I believe both the Xbox and PS4 use C++ for the language their games are in. I'm guessing that there is some differences. But if there was a program that looked for a "Identifier Tag" and then ran the game in the proper manner wouldn't I be able to have a cross platform system?

Then I realized a problem. The cost. My preliminary total without any price checking - $9682. Ouch! No gamer will buy that to set under their TV. My car isn't even worth that much! What would you say I could do different, change, or rethink. Or do you think that gamers would pay that for a cross platform, steam capable, high-end system?

Thanks in advance

paecificjr

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Well cost is dependent. What would someone pay for. They would have to realize it is a higher powered Xbox, PS4, and high-end computer in one. So higher. But still somewhat reasonable since I would expect someone to actually be able to afford it without having to sell their home.