Did I find a good 500$ gaming desktop?

Beanbag

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
So in the past I was looking for a 500$ gaming laptop and realized that would never work out so I finally decided to get a desktop. I found this one at walmart for 479$.

AMD Quad-Core FX-4300 processor
3.80GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

1TB SATA hard drive
Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Graphics
With 1GB video memory, DVI, HDMI and VGA capabilities

I wanna know if it can run games like GTA4 and far cry and skyrim at close to high setting and maybe games like assassins creed black flag at medium to low.

just to give you an idea, it's been the pattern for several generations now.

example, nvidia 500 series, you have gtx580, 570, 560, 550, and so on. This is from fastest (580) to slowest. There are others in between, but you get the idea.
given that, what you have here is a gt610, which is from the 600 series, so what you have is the slowest of the bunch. sorry man, i won't buy that gpu. If it was me, i'd rather save and get something better
GTA4 is like the worst ported game (very good game, but poorly ported), even good rigs will have a hard time playing in high settings. Same with skyrim.

simply put, that is a bad setup game-wise

As the other op said the card is very slow with that given most of the prebuilt pc,s say walmart ect are not expandable when it comes to upgrade time. Say you buy that pc well you want to put a highend vid card in guess what you have to foot out money for a power supply because the one that's in that system already is the bare min to begin with. For gods sake search the net check out newegg and tiger direct or any other etailer watch some you tube vid on how to build your own box ask us here at toms. We are here to help..

G

Honestly, with that money it'd be much better just to build your own system. It's not that hard at all, you can get what you want, you can get A LOT of help here if you needed it, and you can find deals. Especially with black friday/cyber monday in plain sight.

If I were you, I would return it and build your own computer. That graphics card is very low end, I'm quite sure it's also hard to upgrade your parts.

I was actually considering buying a prebuilt myself, but ultimately decided to just go ahead and build my own (I've always wanted to anyway, and I can get the parts I'd want!).
Ordered all my parts, put it together myself.. I've never been so proud of myself. Give it a try! Trust me, you won't regret it.

If you do end up building your own pc with that budget, I'm quite sure you'd be able to run those games at where you'd like them to.

With that one? Nope.

if you are short on cash, i would suggest that you build one, without a gpu. then start saving for a gpu, but for the mean time go play some light games until you get a decent gpu.

it's not that hard to build your own, read and learn, building it yourself is half the fun believe me :) and we are here to help