RAM slot issues

mklyn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
My RAM slot #2 when it has a stick in it (out of 4 matching RAM sticks installed) is causing the computer not to boot when If I take it out and leave 1,3,4 it will boot. If I put a single stick in #2 it will boot. What is happening?
I have dual channel but do not want the computer slowed by not having the matching in #2 first before #4 or am I wrong about this?
Each of the RAM sticks are tested good and were working fine, then the BSoD and now this after diagnostics.

UPDATE was running fine.....now, BSoD says BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x000000C2
Any clues, I know this is a symptom but of what?
Thanks any/all replies welcome....

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Try blowing out the slot with compressed air, and next time you try all 4 sticks bump the dram voltage up .05V (assuming you're not a 1.65 already, if so then dont' go higher). If you have an ivy/sandy bridge processor bump the Vccio up .1v, if you have an AMD processor try cpu/nb voltage up .1v.

mklyn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Tried the blowing out, was super clean anyway. dram voltage at 1.47 Have i5 but do not know how to get to the settings for processor. MSI military class bios gameboard to work through. Still same issue, have RAM out of #2 and running fine for now. Hope not a board issue, when trying to boot with #2 in no juice to monitor. Just a fluke or could that be a clue?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
try bumping dram voltage to 1.55v, and VCCIO up .1v and see if that fixes it. (is the i5 a haswell 4XXX series or 3XXX (ivy) or 2XXX (sany bridge) Probably just a failed boot. It is common to need a bit more voltage when using 4 sticks, especially when it defaults to 1.47 volts instead of 1.5 like it should.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Are the sticks mis-matched or actual 2 pairs? Mixing different voltage ram sticks could cause that issue. Please state the make and model of each ram stick including the voltage and speed.

mklyn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

4 Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333/10600 UDIM exactly alike. Thanks for the help.
Same RAM it came with, just tested today individually one at a time in single slot with diagnostics, show good.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
What is your motherboard? It could be that it prefers 1.8v ram ather than 1.5v ram, this sometimes does cause issues but not a bad slot, more likely a slow system. Also, please state your cpu, and video card, also the PSU.

Make sure that the ram is securely pushed into place, the clips should click into place and not feel slushy or slow to set.

mklyn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
MSI H67MA-E45 (B3) (911-7678-027) we have had this system for about 2 years, No changes to the (custom build) hardware it came with.
doing C: chkdsk now slowing at 11% on stage 4 at this point. running very slow but no bluescreens.

2 hours later stage 4 and at 11% ...rebooting with restart of chkdsk, reads deleting corrupt attribute record...will keep you guys posted...sounds like multiple issues beyond hardware.....

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It's not altogether necessarily to do with the ram slot but with the configuration of the ram with the cpu and motherboard. Your Power connector is only a 4-pin connection so it would be expected not to use this systemwith anything overly high powered like a super dooper video card or over-use of usb ports.

You may need to check the cpu support list to ensure you have the correct cpu, although an unlisted cpu might work, extreme performance of the cpu might make it unable to perform to a high standard.
http://my.msi.com/product/mb/H67MA-E45--B3-.html#/?div=CPUSupport

It would be better to list all your hardware specs and any devices attached that might impact on the usage like a gaming mouse/keyboard, pone for charging, TV adapter etc.. It might not seem related to a ram slot but it is always a good idea to nsure all the specs are correct.

It could be that the motherboard is not supporting 4 x 4gb of Crucialbrand, oftem I see Crucial being either quad channel is single modules but not paired. Another thread showed the user that he was using quad channel ram in a dual channel motherboard and getting unexpected results, this could be the same issue, you may need to acquire a different brand tht is actually dual channel ram, to be certain.