CPU in New Gaming Rig?

Which CPU Would You Prefer in Your New Gaming Rig?

• i7-3770k 3.5 GHz

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • i5-4670k 3.4Ghz

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Triscuit407

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I was fortunate enough to have someone who enjoys building comps in their retirement give me one a couple years ago, then again last year, and to my surprise this year. He's told me to tell him if I want the build tweaked before I get it. The setup I have now has an i7 3770k with a GTX 680 and the new one he has an i5 4670k with a GTX 780. I've been researching a lot and have all but concluded that the CPU I currently have is slightly better than the Haswell. I play a lot of games, do game recordings, and light video and picture editing. It's also my computer for college. On top of that I'm looking at a second monitor as I usually have a lot open at once including games and programs like Skype. (I've seen people saying things about dual monitors not working with the CPUs or is that just double DVI?) I'm also planing on getting into overclocking. So I'm asking if I should keep the IB or have the Haswell in my new build.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
That's a tough choice. The i5 4670k is just as good in games as the i7 3770k, but the GTX 780 is a lot better than the GTX 680.
The i5 has slightly better single core performance, but the i7 overclocks better which will cancel that advantage. The i7 dominates in multitasking though.

Can you keep the i7 and switch to the GTX 780? That's what I would do if possible.

Triscuit407

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013

He actually gave me the option to keep the setup I have right now and swap the graphics card to the 780 and the SSD for a larger one (180>500) and keep the i7-3770k. I really like the case for the new one (Corsair Carbide 500r white) more than my current one (CM Storm Enforcer). If I ask to swap the Haswell for the IB in the new case he'll also have to change the mobo... I don't want to be demanding or anything. It's already free. I really believe this may be the last upgrade I get for free so maybe I'll keep the i5-4670k and everything as is in the new rig and in the future I can buy a new mobo, cpu, and possibly a gpu when they get far ahead of the new ones I'll be getting. Something to look forward to I guess. Thanks for letting me talk this out.