First build in 12 years! Game and minimal game dev

x1c0

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2013
Hey there all, I built my first computer by myself in 1997 and several after until 2001. Upon relearning the contemporary tech it seems the components to computers are largely the same. The improvements come to the devices themselves, so that makes it easier for me. I do my own homework but understanding individual pieces does not always give you insight into how they interact with each other in a system.

I have been saving for a system since January when my console died. As a gamer, I've been patiently waiting to have the money to build a system that will hold up for a long time to come and I'm about at that point now. My friends and I have also been taking a coding course and are tinkering with game development programs so I would like something that can handle demanding tasks of these kinds. It doesn't have to be a powerhouse for this, but should be stable enough to minimize rendering waits or crashes.

With Cyber Monday coming up I'm hoping to shave off the price a bit more but I was hoping the community of good people here could help me where I might be overdoing it. If my timing is off please tell me that too! I've read suggestions to wait a year for the Haswell E, but I can find posts from a year earlier where people say wait for the Ivy E's.. I know the x79 is at the end of it's cycle but doesn't that mean it has many of its kinks worked out. I've learned through experience first generation anything is a purchase paid in frustration.

Budget is 1500 to 2k (being absolute roof and a stretch as that)

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge E 4820k or 4930k
Board: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition or Asus Rampage Extreme IV (or Sabertooth x79?)
Memory: 16 or 32 gigs (any advice? it seems this is flexible)
Cooling: corsair h100i and 2 120mm noctua case fans
Graphics: EVGA 770 (but there seem to be multiple models, dual and single)
Power source: 1000W
HD: 2 tb whatever's cheap

Thanks in advance!

g-unit1111

Titan
Ivy Bridge E won't do anything for gaming. Depending on what developing programs you use you might not get the intended use of it. 1000W is way overkill for a single GTX 770. Instead of the Corsair H100i - get the NZXT X60, you don't have to deal with shoddy fans that way.

x1c0

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2013

Thanks for the power source suggestion! I thought it was way over but my friend was adamant about it. The calculator I used said I'd need 550W. Would 750W give me room for another graphics card down the road then?

I also read troubles with the fans on the h100, which the h100i was supposed to resolve. I hadn't heard of the NZXT cooler. At a cursory glance it seems to be regarded highly, thanks for the recommendation!

Will games and software develop so that the Ivy E cpu would be useful years down the road? Video work, drawing tools, meshing, and eventual usage with game engines is expected. If it's because hyper-threading or more than 4 cores is over the top, even for the future, then would you recommend an i5 or i7?

x1c0

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2013
This is the reworked build. I am purchasing everything over the next few weeks so any further advice would be appreciated.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

As per your suggestion g-unit, i am sticking with the 1000w psu because the calculator shows another 780 in SLI will bump this to almost 800 watts. i wanted to give myself some room to grow if needed..