Microsoft Responds to Surface 2 Overheating Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I have a Surface Pro 1 and it will get vary hot while gaming or watching a movie. I doesnt dim and still works fine but I was surprised at just how hot it gets.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
My phone does the same thing; it will limit the screen brightness due to thermal conditions. I'm not excusing their design, but let's face the facts; most people aren't going to be using their tablets for real gaming, so why make thermal design considerations that may have a very expensive solution for what probably amounts to less than a fraction of a percent of the consumer base?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@cburke82: I also have Surface Pro (gen1) and while it doesn't dim to the lowest level, its brightness occasionally fluctuates for no apparent reason. IIRC this started after I upgraded it to Windows 8.1. And yes, it does get pretty hot (and noticeably humming due to its fan spinning, though that's not loud enough to become bothersome) with games. Remember it has an older Ivy Bridge CPU that's not as power efficient as Haswell. This also means the battery only lasts for 2 hours while gaming.

ClockworkPirate

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
@agnickolov: Did you forget to re-disable automatic brightness after installing Windows 8.1? I've always found that it's super flaky on my Surface.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Actually, I have seen this happen as well on my Surface Pro 1 during Spartan Assault. Though I noticed it, I never really gave it a second thought as to why it happened. I have had a Win 7 and Win8 phone and both of those have done some crazy screen dimming things over the years, so I didn't even think about it the few times it happened on my Surface. I use a pretty low screen brightness setting on both my phone and tablets during normal use, so it may be why I haven't noticed it more often.

Interesting... I wonder if the fix will also apply to Surface Pro 1's... I'll keep my eyes open for it. Now that it's been mentioned and brought to my attention, I'll probably see it more often =(

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hooray for screen dimming, good things it's not faulty SSD's or perhaps chargers that like to blow up, or perhaps batteries that overheat, or perhaps the lack of a usb port...
(ya, suck it Apple lovers, you've had more problems with your gear than the Surface has)

Either way, I've not seen this with my first or 2nd gen Surface Pro and I've played intense games like The Secret World, CounterStrike, Hitman...

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Yikes... In a world where you cannot find a single major tech company without some serious blemish marring at least marring of their major products, a dimming screen when getting too hot makes a product inferior? Could you tell us who you buy products from, so I can check their records and see what "inferior product" you've dumped money into?

Issues like this happen. If they CAN fix this with a software update, it's an incredibly minor issue in the grand scheme of things. If they can't fix it with an update, in a world of red/yellow/blue rings of death, exploding batteries, software updates that brick system, "you're holding it wrong"s, and all that jazz, it's still a relatively minor tech issue. Yet another case of blowing something out of proportion because it's MS...

All that being said, this is a tech problem and, no way around it, MS screwed up. The Surface products tend to be quite solid - just read some reviews. Well constructed, good form, good support, relatively easy to use. Mistakes happen, one happened here, but the line itself tends to be quality.

As for Wilco... Could you tell us what Chinese sweatshop-labour manufacturer you support that doesn't product "inferior products"? Plenty of Foxconn made stuff goes off without a hitch, and plenty of non-Foxconn stuff has problems when hitting the consumer's hands. Heck, even made in the Western World goods have gads of problems.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

That was sarcasm for Apple products :)

I just love it when people bash a product, because like you said, EVERY product or company has issues. Apple folks make it sound like they don't ever poo even though there's clear evidence every human does... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.