bad memory slots?

taylor46

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
so my friend gave me 3 extra sticks of ram when he came over to boost my pc from 12 to 24 gb I was watching some tv and I let him install them which im assuming was a bad idea because I could have done it without issue. after installing the ram he turned the computer back on and shut off after 2 seconds without posting he then called me over and I looked and the ram he had put in where not inserted all the way and locked in the slots and It smelt like burnt electronics. after removing the new sticks and removing the cmos battery I got the computer to start up normally again I then tested his ram in a different computer and they did still work fine but when I tried to put them back in the other one and insert them correctly the pc dosent register the new ram.....im assuming the slots are now non functional? and is there any way to fix this without buying a new mobo?

taylor46

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I have all the new and old ram individually in the 3 good slots and it boots normally and I have tried them all individually in the 3 bad slots and 2 of the slots the computer dosent post just stays on and does nothing but in the the other one it gives 3 short beeps which im assuming is a no memory error

taylor46

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
ok thanks for the replies I doubt the pins are bent on the cpu socket im by no means a computer expert so I could be wrong but those slots at least one I know for sure was functional before the the incorrectly place ram caused issues