Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need support, Will this run minecraft smoothly. ABOVE 60 fps? Max settings.

Last response: in Tom's Guide
November 26, 2013 2:38:13 PM

Case CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4570 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® H81M-E: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling INTEL STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable 1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Best solution

November 26, 2013 2:52:43 PM

Are you going to be running FRAPS?

No? You should get your 60FPS. remember to install the 64 bit Java. Also note that Minecraft is CPU BOUND, its pretty much all CPU thats going to dictate your FPS for minecraft. My nephew has a similar build (he has the I5 - 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz) and gets just over 60fps WITHOUT FRAPS.

Yes? You will get around 35-40FPS while recording with FRAPS. Thats a total guess but thats what my nephew gets when he records and again, the builds are comparable. The Problem with FRAPS is that it is Disk IO bound. In order to get good performance while recording you will need a dedicated drive to record to and even then, you will want two SDD's in RAID 0 to lift that bottleneck (and use your SATA 3 connections (make sure to get a SATA3 cable too)).

If I would change anything in your build, I might suggest a chip you can overclock or one that's a little faster. In general, I think you are looking fine.

Oh, and get yourself a second stick of RAM. With only 1 stick you will be running in single channel mode. That wont kill performance but every little bit helps.
November 27, 2013 12:22:18 AM

Preecher said:
Are you going to be running FRAPS?

No? You should get your 60FPS. remember to install the 64 bit Java. Also note that Minecraft is CPU BOUND, its pretty much all CPU thats going to dictate your FPS for minecraft. My nephew has a similar build (he has the I5 - 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz) and gets just over 60fps WITHOUT FRAPS.

Yes? You will get around 35-40FPS while recording with FRAPS. Thats a total guess but thats what my nephew gets when he records and again, the builds are comparable. The Problem with FRAPS is that it is Disk IO bound. In order to get good performance while recording you will need a dedicated drive to record to and even then, you will want two SDD's in RAID 0 to lift that bottleneck (and use your SATA 3 connections (make sure to get a SATA3 cable too)).

If I would change anything in your build, I might suggest a chip you can overclock or one that's a little faster. In general, I think you are looking fine.

Oh, and get yourself a second stick of RAM. With only 1 stick you will be running in single channel mode. That wont kill performance but every little bit helps.

Thanks for the help!
Also does anyone have anymore suggestions?

m
l
Related resources
!