Matte finish 22"+ sub-$150 monitor, IPS preferred

Tirian

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
I have an older 22” LCD that I had been using as a 2nd display for my laptop which I am now using as the monitor for my newly cobbled together gaming desktop. I’m now noticing that the screen isn’t as high quality as my laptop’s (Lenovo T410s) and it seems to strain my eyes, so I’m hoping that getting a better quality/resolution screen will help me there, as well as eventually having two identical monitors so my eyes don’t have to adjust as I switch from screen to screen (I typically like to run Outlook, a browser, and IM on the left screen, and play games/watch videos on the right)

THE MONITOR MUST BE MATTE! (This is why I’m posting here, I’m having trouble finding one recommended on the older request threads.) There is a lot of glare where my desk is located and I’d rather have the screen washed by the light out than too much glare. Also, from what I’m reading, it seems like an IPS monitor would be my preference, budget allowing

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
United States

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
Pretty much just gaming, I do general word processing and web browsing too, but I don’t think that’s terribly relevant here

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
At least 1920 x 1080 (and with my budget I doubt I can go higher anyway), screen size should be 22” at least, up to 24” if budget allows, though I’m really not concerned with upgrading to 23” or 24”

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
I don’t really have a preference I guess, I don’t care about images being “smoother”, though if a higher refresh rate is easier on the eyes, that would be preferred

5. How much are you looking to spend?
As little as possible, hopefully no more than $150. If I can’t get a 22” matte IPS for $150, I’d spend more, but that’s really all I’m interested in.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
No preference

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
No preference

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
Probably not, unless I can get a great deal this weekend. However, I would eventually like to get a 2nd identical monitor, so I would prefer to get a model that isn’t about to be discontinued

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
I have a Radeon 5670 now, but am planning to upgrade immediately to a 7790 or maybe even a 7870/R9 270(X) and only want to run 2 monitors max, so I assume it would be fine to run two screens with any of those GPUs provided the GPU has two DVI ports

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
DVI of some sort – all of GPUs I’m looking at have two DVI ports

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
This would be the primary, and I hope to add an identical one for a secondary screen soon after so I'd like to get a model that isn't about to be discontinued

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
No

Thank you in advance!

Solution
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Asus-VS229H-P-22-LED-LCD-Monitor-16-9-14-ms/6286449/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=UpXupAAAAPi54AmK:20131127130748:s

It doesn't mention that it's IPS on that site, not that I saw, but one quick Google and you'll find out that it is. The 14ms overall is scary, though, but that's the only 22" or larger IPS display that I found that fits your price tag. It has 5ms Gray-to-gray, though, and I game with a 23" Dell LED that's configured just so, and I have no issues with it. For reasons like that, however, IPS isn't really for gaming... not yet, anyway.

Edit: I take that back. Here's an Acer for $129: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Asus-VS229H-P-22-LED-LCD-Monitor-16-9-14-ms/6286449/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=UpXupAAAAPi54AmK:20131127130748:s

It doesn't mention that it's IPS on that site, not that I saw, but one quick Google and you'll find out that it is. The 14ms overall is scary, though, but that's the only 22" or larger IPS display that I found that fits your price tag. It has 5ms Gray-to-gray, though, and I game with a 23" Dell LED that's configured just so, and I have no issues with it. For reasons like that, however, IPS isn't really for gaming... not yet, anyway.

Edit: I take that back. Here's an Acer for $129: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

Solution

Tirian

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
Dumb question, I looked up that monitor at Asus's website and at Newegg and I wasn't able to tell that it was a matte screen without searching the reviews. Not that I don't believe you, but how can you tell based on specifications?