2 Partitions are bound and "The volume requires contiguous disk extents"

Keffoo321

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I was trying to dual boot Ubuntu, but Ubuntu failed to see that I have Windows 7 installed on my computer and so I couldn't install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7. So I tried to merge my partition back to my main partition.

Here's the problem. The partition that I shrunk by 100gb, now seems to have two parts for some reason. One that is 201MB and the other that is 100gb. So my hard drive is split up into three partitions, 2 of which are unallocated and seem to be bound to each other. By "bound" I mean that if I click on one, both are selected, and if I delete one, the other one will be deleted as well. Whenever I try to extend the main volume of 831gb, it comes with the error "The volume requires contiguous disk extents"

I tried to use gparted, but all it said was that some software may have corrupted some table or something. Gparted only sees one partition and it says its unallocated. What do I do? How do I merge it again?

Here is an image of what it looks like in disk management:

11089599713_7d14d16c4b_o.png

UPDATE:

By extending the volume in increments, I have been able to get the 100gb back to the larger volume, but I still can't get rid of the 201MB partition. How do I get rid of it?

Image:
11091286784_225a2f8920_o.png

popatim

Titan
Its 0.2GB - dont worry about it.
You could use something like partition magic to move the windows partition left which would make the end of the drive have the 200mb of unallocated space which you then could extend right-wards into it.

Keffoo321

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

The main problem is that I also cannot install Ubuntu on it. That's why I need this problem fixed

Keffoo321

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

The D drive contains all my school work, CV/resume, personal information, personal pictures and videos, movies, music, games, and pretty much all my programs.

It's okay though, I figured out why it was acting weird and how to fix it. My hard drive was set to dynamic instead of basic, the reason why it had the yellow bar in disk management and not blue like the other two SSD's.

For anyone else getting this problem, use a software called Partition Wizard, which is a free disk management tool that you boot up your computer with. There is a simple option to convert your drive from dynamic to basic without losing any data. Then I merged the partitions and all is well. Here is the link with the instructions I found: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dynamic-disk-basic-disk.html

I just still can't figure out why Ubuntu is not detecting my drive, but that can wait for another time.

Thanks for the help anyways!